Endogenous R&D spillover and location choice in a mixed oligopoly
We consider a three-stage game where a public firm and a private firm choose R&D, location, and price, under the assumption that R&D spillovers rely on their locations. We show that, in equilibrium, whether the public firm engages in innovation more aggressively than the private firm depends on the degree of spillovers. Moreover, firms’ equilibrium locations exhibit neither maximal nor minimal differentiation. Finally, privatization could reduce social welfare because it may generate inefficient location and insufficient R&D investment. This suggests that a mixed duopoly could be socially preferable to a private duopoly in the presence of endogenous R&D spillovers. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
Volume (Year): 51 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995.
"Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994. "Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States," NBER Working Papers 4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi, 1998. "Urban Agglomeration and Dispersion: A Synthesis of Alonso and Krugman," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 333-351, November.
- Ishibashi, Ikuo & Matsumura, Toshihiro, 2006. "R&D competition between public and private sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1347-1366, August.
- Claudio Piga & Joanna Poyago-Theotoky, 2003.
"Endogenous R&D Spillovers and Locational Choice,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
0310, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Kato, Kazuhiko & Tomaru, Yoshihiro, 2007. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization, subsidization, and the order of firms' moves: Several types of objectives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 287-292, August.
- Richard J. Rosen, 1991.
"Research and Development with Asymmetric Firm Sizes,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(3), pages 411-429, Autumn.
- Richard J. Rosen, 1988. "Research and development with asymmetric firm sizes," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 17, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Susumu Cato, 2008. "Mixed oligopoly, productive efficiency, and spillover," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(33), pages 1-5.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2008:i:33:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fjell, Kenneth & Heywood, John S., 2004. "Mixed oligopoly, subsidization and the order of firm's moves: the relevance of privatization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 411-416, June.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Marchand, Maurice & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1991.
"Mixed oligopoly with differentiated products,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-53, March.
- Debashis Pal & Mark D. White, 1998. "Mixed Oligopoly, Privatization, and Strategic Trade Policy," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 264-281, October.
- Mai, Chao-cheng & Peng, Shin-kun, 1999. "Cooperation vs. competition in a spatial model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 463-472, July.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Mixed oligopoly and spatial agglomeration," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 62-87, February.
- White, Mark D., 1996. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization and subsidization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-195, November.
- Zhou, Dongsheng & Vertinsky, Ilan, 2001. "Strategic location decisions in a growing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 523-533, September.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2004. "Endogenous Cost Differentials between Public and Private Enterprises: A Mixed Duopoly Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(284), pages 671-688, November.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1979. "Market Structure and Innovation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 395-410.
- Michael L. Katz, 1986. "An Analysis of Cooperative Research and Development," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(4), pages 527-543, Winter.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE,Â Jacques-FranÃ§ois, .
"On Hotelling's "Stability in competition","
CORE Discussion Papers RP
385, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tabuchi, T. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"Asymetric equilibria in spatial competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1151, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Irmen, Andreas & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1996.
"Competition in Multi-characteristics Spaces: Hotelling was Almost Right,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1446, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Irmen, Andreas & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1998. "Competition in Multi-characteristics Spaces: Hotelling Was Almost Right," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 76-102, January.
- IRMEN, Andreas & THISSE, Jacques-Francois, 1997. "Competition in multi-characteristics spaces: hotelling was almost right," CORE Discussion Papers 1997053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andreas IRMEN & Jean-François THISSE, 1996. "Competition in Multi-Characteristics Spaces: Hotelling Was Almost Right," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9613, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Irmen, A. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Competition in multi-characteristics spaces: Hotelling was almost right," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1305, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2001. "The Determinants of Agglomeration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 191-229, September.
- Pal, Debashis & Sarkar, Jyotirmoy, 2002. "Spatial competition among multi-store firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 163-190, February.
- Neven, Damien, 1985. "Two Stage (Perfect) Equilibrium in Hotelling's Model," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 317-25, March.
- Nishimori, Akira & Ogawa, Hikaru, 2002. "Public Monopoly, Mixed Oligopoly and Productive Efficiency," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 185-90, June.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1986. "Minimal and maximal product differentiation in Hotelling's duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 67-71.
- Suetens, Sigrid, 2005. "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in experimental duopoly markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 63-82, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:51:y:2013:i:2:p:459-477. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.