Tests for structural break in quantile regressions
The paper compares the existing tests for parameter instability in quantile regression. One is based on the estimated objective function and the other on the gradient. Their definition determines their characteristics and helpfulness. The former allows to check if the impact of a break on the entire equation changes across quantiles while a modified version of the latter verifies if the break affects only some coefficients or all of them and helps locating the break point. In addition the paper presents a Lagrange multiplier test for structural break. The advantage of the LM test is in the ease of implementation, since it simply requires the estimation of an auxiliary regression. An example shows the characteristics of each test. A Monte Carlo study concludes the analysis. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 96 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.dstatg.de/de/startseite/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/10182/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bai, Jushan, 1995. "Least Absolute Deviation Estimation of a Shift," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 403-436, June.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dufour, J.M. & Campbell, B., 1993.
"Exact Nonparametric Orthogonality and Random Walk Tests,"
Cahiers de recherche
9326, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Campbell, Bryan & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1995. "Exact Nonparametric Orthogonality and Random Walk Tests," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Qu, Zhongjun, 2008. "Testing for structural change in regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 170-184, September.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, December.
- He X. & Zhu L-X., 2003. "A Lack-of-Fit Test for Quantile Regression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 1013-1022, January.
- Marilena Furno, 2008. "Quantile regressions analysis of the Italian school system," Working Papers 2008-06, Universita' di Cassino, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche.
- Oka, Tatsushi & Qu, Zhongjun, 2011.
"Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 248-267, June.
- Zhongjun Qu & Tatsushi Oka, 2010. "Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2010-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Zhao, Quanshui, 2001. "Asymptotically Efficient Median Regression In The Presence Of Heteroskedasticity Of Unknown Form," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 765-784, August.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1990. "Least absolute error estimation in the presence of serial correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 127-158.
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Trojani, Fabio & Urga, Giovanni, 2005. "Robust GMM tests for structural breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 139-182.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, November.
- So, Beong Soo & Shin, Dong Wan, 2001. "An invariant sign test for random walks based on recursive median adjustment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 197-229, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:alstar:v:96:y:2012:i:4:p:493-515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.