The deterrent effect of Russian control of mergers: An Empirical Study
The article is devoted to identifying the deterrent effect of Russian control of mergers. Under the deterrent effect it meant a decrease of future M & A activity in connection with the strengthening of the regulatory impact of the antimonopoly body. To conduct the study were used panel data of two types: on the number of permits corrective prescriptions and prohibitions on the merger by sector for the years 2009-2014 in Russia, the economic characteristics of industries. A model showing the relationship between the amount received bans and regulations and M & A activity in the next period. The results of this study confirm the existence of a deterrent effect in the Russian merger control. At the same time permission to the regulations do not have a deterrent effect on future M & A activity, and restrictions may constrain the number of submitted applications. The study of the deterrent effect will allow a more accurate assessment of the overall benefits of the merger of Russian control since the deterrent effect of the merger is greater than the direct effect of regulations and prohibitions.
Volume (Year): 1 (2016)
Issue (Month): (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 82, Vernadsky pr., 117571, Moscow|
Phone: +7 (499) 956 95 86
Fax: (095) 564-85-80
Web page: http://www.rane.ru/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jo Seldeslachts & Joseph A. Clougherty & Pedro Pita Barros, 2009. "Settle for Now but Block for Tomorrow: The Deterrence Effects of Merger Policy Tools," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(3), pages 607-634, August.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
NBER Chapters,in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 1-54
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968. "Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169-169.
- Pedro Barros & Joseph Clougherty & Jo Seldeslachts, 2010. "How to Measure the Deterrence Effects of Merger Policy: Frequency or Composition?," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 1-8.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Clougherty, Joseph A. & Seldeslachts, Jo, 2009. "How to Measure the Deterrence Effects of Merger Policy: Frequency or Composition?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7454, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pedro P. Barros & Joseph A. Clougherty & Jo Seldeslachts, 2009. "How to Measure the Deterrence Effects of Merger Policy: Frequency or Composition?," CIG Working Papers SP II 2009-13, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG), revised Oct 2009.
- Schoenberg, Richard & Reeves, Richard, 1999. "What determines acquisition activity within an industry?," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 93-98, February.
- Andreea Cosnita-Langlais & Lars Sørgard, 2014. "Enforcement vs Deterrence in Merger Control: Can Remedies Lead to Lower Welfare?," EconomiX Working Papers 2014-29, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Cosnita-Langlais, Andreea & Sørgard, Lars, 2014. "Enforcement vs Deterrence in Merger Control: Can Remedies Lead to Lower Welfare?," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 7/2014, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Andreea Cosnita-Langlais & Lars Sorgard, 2017. "Enforcement vs Deterrence in Merger Control: Can Remedies Lead to Lower Welfare?," Post-Print hal-01549791, HAL.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2010. "Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revised Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number musr, January.
- Robert W. Crandall & Clifford Winston, 2005. "Does antitrust policy improve consumer welfare? Assessing the evidence," Chapters,in: Governments, Competition and Utility Regulation, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Robert W. Crandall & Clifford Winston, 2003. "Does Antitrust Policy Improve Consumer Welfare? Assessing the Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Lars Sørgard, 2009. "OPTIMAL MERGER POLICY: ENFORCEMENT VS. DETERRENCE -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 438-456, 09.
- Ратникова Т. А., 2006. "Введение В Эконометрический Анализ Панельных Данных," Higher School of Economics Economic Journal Экономический журнал Высшей школы экономики, CyberLeninka;Федеральное государственное автономное образовательное учреждение высшего образования «Национальный исследовательский университет «Высшая школа экономики», vol. 10(4), pages 638-669.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2002. "Transaction Cost Economics, Antitrust Rules, and Remedies," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 95-116, April.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Jo Seldeslachts, 2013. "The Deterrence Effects of US Merger Policy Instruments," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(5), pages 1114-1144, October.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Jo Seldeslachts, 2011. "The Deterrence Effects of U.S. Merger Policy Instruments," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-095/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Clougherty, Joseph A. & Seldeslachts, Jo, 2011. "The Deterrence Effects of U.S. Merger Policy Instruments," CEPR Discussion Papers 8482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raakjaer, Jesper & Leeuwen, Judith van & Tatenhove, Jan van & Hadjimichael, Maria, 2014. "Ecosystem-based marine management in European regional seas calls for nested governance structures and coordination—A policy brief," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(PB), pages 373-381.
- Авдашева С. Б. & Шаститко A. E. & Калмычкова Е. Н., 2007. "Экономические Основы Антимонопольной Политики: Российская Практика В Контексте Мирового Опыта," Higher School of Economics Economic Journal Экономический журнал Высшей школы экономики, CyberLeninka;Федеральное государственное автономное образовательное учреждение высшего образования «Национальный исследовательский университет «Высшая школа экономики», vol. 11(4), pages 562-610.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991. "Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Eckbo, B Espen, 1992. " Mergers and the Value of Antitrust Deterrence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1005-1029, July.
- Andrade, Gregor & Stafford, Erik, 2004. "Investigating the economic role of mergers," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-36, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rnp:ecopol:ep1609. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RANEPA maintainer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.