Estimating the Impact of Central Bank Independence upon Macroeconomic Performance using a Panel Data Model
This paper analyzes a new index for measuring central bank independence and inflation targeting in order to evaluate and assess the impact of central bank’s independence level upon the macroeconomic performance. The new index for measuring central bank independence and inflation targeting has three main pillars: central bank political and legal independence, central bank governance and conduct of monetary policy and central bank transparency and accountability. Moreover, the paper intends to evaluate the impact of central bank independence based on the new index upon some macroeconomic indicators, such as the inflation rate, the output, the unemployment rate, the budgetary deficit and the current account deficit.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2006.
"Central bank independence and inflation: a note,"
0621, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Farvaque, Etienne & Héricourt, Jérôme & Lagadec, Gaël, 2008.
"Central bank independence and ageing,"
13076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-FranÃ§ois Segalotto & Marco Arnone & Bernard Laurens, 2006. "Measures of Central Bank Autonomy: Empirical Evidence for OECD, Developing, and Emerging Market Economies," IMF Working Papers 06/228, International Monetary Fund.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Jakob de Haan, 2001.
"Inflation in Developing Countries: Does Central Bank Independence Matter?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
511, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Haan, Jakob de, 2001. "Inflation in developing countries: does Central Bank independence matter?," CCSO Working Papers 200101, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Alberto Alesina, 1988. "Macroeconomics and Politics," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1988, Volume 3, pages 13-62 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cukierman, A. & Webb, S., 1994.
"Political Influence on the Central Bank : International Evidence,"
1994-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B, 1995. "Political Influence on the Central Bank: International Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(3), pages 397-423, September.
- Alex Cukierman & Steven Webb, 1995. "Political Influence on the Central Bank- International Evidence," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 114, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Marco Arnone & Bernard J Laurens & Jean-Fran�ois Segalotto & Martin Sommer, 2009.
"Central Bank Autonomy: Lessons from Global Trends,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(2), pages 263-296, June.
- Alesina, Alberto & Summers, Lawrence H, 1993. "Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 151-62, May.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-98, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2011:i:4:p:106-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.