Environmental Pressures on Tourism Companies: Simulation of Scenarios in Golf Course Operators
Andalusia (Spain) has become one of the world’s leading regions for receiving golf tourists. In recent years there has been a constant increase in the number of golf courses; as a result an institutional context is developing in respect of environment protection that is conditioning the behaviour of companies operating sports/tourism facilities of this type. In the present study we analyse this organizational context from the perspective of the Institutional Theory; we propose possible future scenarios by simulating the evolution of the normative pressures in respect of environmental protection. For this we have applied the statistical technique of Partial Least Squares. The simulation by means of the ceteris paribus criterion has demonstrated for us that an increase of the normative pressures would not substantially modify the results of our original model. We believe that the relatively weak influence of this type of pressure may be because the wide social debate generated in that Spanish region on the sustainability of sports facilities of this type, has propitiated a substantial body of legislation that has conditioned the environmental behaviour of golf courses. Therefore, the best way to obtain legitimacy and social acceptance is still by complying with the law.
Volume (Year): 2 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +351 289 244 406
Web page: http://www.cieo.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Fineman, 1996. "Green Stakeholders: Industry Interpretations And Response," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(6), pages 715-730, November.
- Guido Candela & Roberto Cellini, 2006.
"Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 41-58, September.
- Roberto Cellini & Guido Candela, 2004. "Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly," Working Papers 2004.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Al-Tuwaijri, Sulaiman A. & Christensen, Theodore E. & Hughes, K. II, 2004. "The relations among environmental disclosure, environmental performance, and economic performance: a simultaneous equations approach," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(5-6), pages 447-471.
- Anton, Wilma Rose Q. & Deltas, George & Khanna, Madhu, 2002.
"Incentives for Environmental Self-Regulation and Implications for Environmental Performance,"
02-0120, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Anton, W.R.Q.Wilma Rose Q. & Deltas, George & Khanna, Madhu, 2004. "Incentives for environmental self-regulation and implications for environmental performance," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 632-654, July.
- Telle, Kjetil & Larsson, Jan, 2007. "Do environmental regulations hamper productivity growth? How accounting for improvements of plants' environmental performance can change the conclusion," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 438-445, March.
- Twan Huybers & Jeff Bennett, 2003. "Environmental Management and the Competitiveness of Nature-Based Tourism Destinations," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 24(3), pages 213-233, March.
- Suzana Rodrigues & John Child, 2003. "Co-evolution in an Institutionalized Environment," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(8), pages 2137-2162, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:jspord:0022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Fernandes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.