Environmental Management and the Competitiveness of Nature-Based Tourism Destinations
Environmental management at nature-basedtourism destinations includes a private and apublic component. The former refers tovoluntary environmental protection activitiescarried out by individual (and groups of)tourism operators. These activities aremotivated by the dependence of the productprovided by the tourism industry on the qualityof the natural environment. Public sectormanagement, on the other hand, refers to theenvironmental regulations imposed on tourismbusinesses. The overall environmentalmanagement structure has a dual effect on thecompetitiveness of the tourism industry atnature-based tourism destinations. While theindustry may benefit from environmentalmanagement through demand stimulation, thetourism businesses also incur the associatedmanagement related costs. In this paper, theoverall effect of environmental management oncompetitiveness, as measured by aggregatetourism industry profitability, is estimated ina case study of Tropical North Queensland. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
Volume (Year): 24 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263 |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huybers, Twan & Bennett, Jeff, 2003. "Inter-firm cooperation at nature-based tourism destinations," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 571-587, November.
- Rugg, Donald, 1973. "The Choice of Journey Destination: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 64-72, February.
- Nicolai J. Foss, 1996. "Research In Strategy, Economics, and Michael Porter," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 1-24, 01.
- Adam B. Jaffe et al., 1995. "Environmental Regulation and the Competitiveness of U.S. Manufacturing: What Does the Evidence Tell Us?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 132-163, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521788304 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1999. "Collective Efficiency and Increasing Returns," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 465-83, July.
- Huybers, Twan & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2000. "Cooperation And Competition In Tropical North Queensland's Nature-Based Tourism Industry," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123667, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Jayadevappa, Ravishankar & Chhatre, Sumedha, 2000. "International trade and environmental quality: a survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 175-194, February.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 1997. "Ecotourism: Aspects of Its Sustainability and Compatibility," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 53641, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:24:y:2003:i:3:p:213-233. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.