Physical Capital Formation And Income Relationships: A Temporal Analysis For Punjab And Haryana
The present paper aims at examining comparative growth performance, structural transformations and causal relationships among Physical Capital Formation and Gross State Domestic Product in Punjab and Haryana states. Various analytical estimations have been made from secondary time series data for 30 years (from 1980-81 through 2009-10), compiled on aggregated/ disaggregated gross capital formation and domestic product in respect of the two states. As per the findings, aggregated capital formation has undergone deceleration (particularly during pre-liberalisation period) in Punjab, while acceleration in Haryana state, primarily due to the corresponding pattern in the assets like Plant & Machinery and Transport Equipment. Further, VECM-based causality analysis has indicated that income generation from Secondary sector was a pre-requisite for consolidation of transport infrastructure in both the states. However, the absence of causal linkage between physical capital formation and GSDP at the aggregated level in both the states suggests that something else (other than fixed investment), like human capital formation, productivity, economic and political environment, foreign investment etc., might be explaining economic growth in these states. Therefore, suitable policy measures may be required for raising productivity and diversifying economic base so as to achieve sustainable growth in the two states.
Volume (Year): 2 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Journal of Regional Development and Planning, c/o Rajarshi Majumder, University of Burdwan, Golapbag, Burdwan, INDIA - 713104|
Web page: http://www.jrdp.in
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- João Paulo Bento, 2011. "Energy Savings via Foreign Direct Investment? - Empirical evidence from Portugal," Working Papers 2011/24, Maastricht School of Management.
- Qin, Duo & Cagas, Marie Anne & Quising, Pilipinas & He, Xin-Hua, 2006.
"How much does investment drive economic growth in China?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 751-774, October.
- Duo Qin & Marie Anne Cagas & Pilipinas Quising & Xin-Hua He, 2005. "How Much Does Investment Drive Economic Growth in China?," Working Papers 545, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Chung, Young-Iob, 2007. "South Korea in the Fast Lane: Economic Development and Capital Formation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195325454.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Magnus Blomström & Robert E. Lipsey & Mario Zejan, 1996. "Is Fixed Investment the Key to Economic Growth?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(1), pages 269-276.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Mario Zejan, 1993. "Is Fixed Investment the Key to Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 4436, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Lipsey, Robert E & Zejan, Mario, 1993. "Is Fixed Investment the Key to Economic Growth?," CEPR Discussion Papers 870, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:jrdpin:0017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rajarshi Majumder)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.