Overeducation and its effects on wages: a closer look at the Spanish regions
This paper uses data from the 2004 to 2009 Living Conditions Survey (LCS) to analyze the wage gap between the adjusted and the overqualified employees in the Spanish regions using standard Mincer equations, quantile regression and the Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition. The results indicate that in Spain there is a 28% difference between the gross hourly wage between the overqualified and well-matched employees, of which 25 percentage points correspond to the discrimination effect and only three percentage points correspond to the characteristics of the individuals and the firms they work in. These results show that the effects of overeducation on the regional economies are genuine and substantial and present a considerable heterogeneity.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 24 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Viladomat, 321 entresuelo - 08029 Barcelona, Teléfono y Fax: + 34 933101112, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: www.aecr.org, Web Investigaciones Regionales: www.investigacionesregionales.org|
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfonso Alba-Ramírez, 1993. "Mismatch in the Spanish Labor Market: Overeducation?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(2), pages 259-278.
- Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1999. "- Salarios Regionales Y Dotaciones De Capital Humano," Working Papers. Serie EC 1999-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Elisabet Motellón & Enrique López‐Bazo & Mayssun El‐Attar, 2011.
"Regional Heterogeneity In Wage Distributions: Evidence From Spain,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 558-584, 08.
- Elisabet Motellón & Enrique López-Bazo & Mayssun El-Attar, 2009. "Regional heterogeneity in wage distributions. Evidence from Spain," IREA Working Papers 200903, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Feb 2009.
- Inmaculada Garcia & Jose Alberto Molina, 2002. "Inter-regional wage differentials in Spain," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 209-215. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo-Ortíz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.