Regional Science trends through the analysis of the main facts of the 51st ERSA Conference
The 51st ERSA Conference held in Barcelona in 2011 was one of the largest ever. By examining the characteristics of the conference, this paper identifies the main trends in Regional Science and draws on a broad array of sources of information: the delegates’ demographic details, the conference program itself, a satisfaction survey conducted among delegates, a quality survey addressed to those chairing the sessions and, finally, a bibliometric database including each author signing a paper presented at the conference. We finally run a regression analysis from which we show that for ERSA delegates what matters most is quality, and this must be the direction that future conferences should move toward. Ultimately, ERSA conferences are comprehensive, all-embracing occasions, representing an ideal opportunity for regional scientists to present their work to each other and to network.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 24 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quigley, John M., 2002.
"The Renaissance in Regional Research,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt7t35n4kk, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Henry Overman, 2010. "The 10th year of the Journal of Economic Geography: a decade of high impact publication," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(1), pages 1-8, January.
- Gilles Duranton, 2010. "Introduction: The "Journal Of Regional Science" At 50: Looking Forward To The Next 50 Years," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 1-3.
- Andrew M. Isserman, 1993. "Lost In Space? On The History, Status, And Future Of Regional Science (Presidential Address, April 4, 1992)," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 23(1), pages 1-50, Summer.
- Jouke van Dijk, 2012. "Regional Science matters," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(1), pages 1-2, 03.
- Borghans, Lex & Romans, Margo & Sauermann, Jan, 2010.
"What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labour economists,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 868-874, October.
- Borghans Lex & Romans Margo & Sauermann Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labour economists," ROA Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Borghans, Lex & Romans, Margo & Sauermann, Jan, 2010. "What Makes a Good Conference? Analysing the Preferences of Labor Economists," IZA Discussion Papers 4870, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borghans Lex & Romans Margo & Sauermann Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labor economists," Research Memorandum 020, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Juan Carlos Duque & Raúl Ramos & Vicente Royuela, 2011.
"Research networks and scientific production in Economics: The recent Spanish Experience,"
REVISTA ECOS DE ECONOMÍA,
- Raul Ramos & Vicente Royuela & Juan Carlos Duque, 2007. "Research networks and scientific production in Economics, The recent Spanish Experience," IREA Working Papers 200701, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jan 2007.
- Janet Kohlhase, 2012. "Editor’s introduction to: a scholarly tribute to the 50th anniversary of the Western Regional Science Association," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 359-362, April.
- Richard Arnott & Neil Wrigley, 2003. "Editorial: Two Years On," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 1-3, January.
- Jouke van Dijk & Gunther Maier, 2006. "ERSA Conference participation: does location matter?," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 483-504, November.
- Jordi Surinach Caralt & Juan Carlos Duque & Raul Ramos Lobo & Vicente Royuela Mora, 2002. "La investigacion regional en Espana: Un analisis bibliometrico," Working Papers in Economics 89, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Vicente Royuela & Juan Carlos Duque & Raul Ramos, 2005. "Regional and Urban Research in Italy during the Nineties: Evidence from Publications in Nine Top International Journals," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2005(3).
- Vicente ROYUELA & J.C. DUQUE & J. SURIÑACH, 2008. "Regional And Urban Science In France: Rankings Of Authors And Institutions And Publication Patterns During The Nineties," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 28, pages 207-232.
- Raymond Florax & David Plane, 2003.
"Introducing the brightest of dawns: Regional science in “Papers”,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 5-29, October.
- Raymond Florax & David Plane, 2003. "Introducing the brightest of dawns: Regional science in “Papers”," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 5-29, October.
- Allen, Marcus T. & Kau, James B., 1991. "Contributing authors and institutions to the Journal of Urban Economics: 1974-1989," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 373-384, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo Ortíz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.