La política económica de las crisis financieras: una aproximación empírica
The paper presents a model of political loss to analyze the interrelationship between the political nature of economic decisions and their influence on the probability of financial crisis. Two different definitions of crises, currency and balance of payments, are used to verify the explanatory power of political factors on both definitions of crisis. Also, a probit model is used on a sample of 63 countries between 1985 and 2000. The statistical evidence shows that while political factors are robust when they explain currency crises, they are more ambiguous in the explanation of balance of payments crises.
Volume (Year): 10 (2008)
Issue (Month): 18 (January-June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra. 1 No. 12-68 Casa de las Mandolinas|
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bussiere, Matthieu & Mulder, Christian, 2000.
"Political Instability and Economic Vulnerability,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 309-330, October.
- Christian B. Mulder & Matthieu Bussière, 1999. "Political Instability and Economic Vulnerability," IMF Working Papers 99/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Robison, Richard & Rosser, Andrew, 1998. "Contesting reform: Indonesia's new order and the IMF," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1593-1609, August.
- Allan Drazen, 2000. "Political Contagion in Currency Crises," NBER Chapters,in: Currency Crises, pages 47-67 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allan Drazen, 1999. "Political Contagion in Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 7211, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shatz, Howard J. & Tarr, David G., 2000. "Exchange rate overvaluation and trade protection - lessons from experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2289, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rei:ecoins:v:10:y:2008:i:18:p:179-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.