Incentive Compatibility and Pricing under Moral Hazard
We show how to recover equilibrium prices supporting incentive efficient allocations in a classic insurance economy with moral hazard. Our key modeling choice is to impose the incentive compatibility constraints on insurance firms, and not on consumers as in Prescott and Townsend (1984). We show that equilibrium prices of insurance contracts are equal to the sum of the shadow costs arising from the resource and incentive compatibility constraints in the planner's problem. The equilibrium allocations are the same as when the incentive compatibility constraints are imposed on consumers. As in Prescott and Townsend, the two welfare theorems hold. (Copyright: Elsevier)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Marina Azzimonti, Department of Economics, Stonybrook University, 10 Nicolls Road, Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/red/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.economicdynamics.org/subscription-information/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerez, Belen, 2003.
"A dual characterization of incentive efficiency,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 1-34, September.
- Feldman, Mark & Gilles, Christian, 1985. "An expository note on individual risk without aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 26-32, February.
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 2010.
"Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria With Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2069, David K. Levine.
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984. "Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria with Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 21-45, January.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Levine, David K. & Prescott, Edward C., 2002.
"Lotteries, Sunspots, and Incentive Constraints,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 39-69, November.
- Alberto Bennardo & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 2003.
"Bertrand and Walras Equilibria under Moral Hazard,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(4), pages 785-817, August.
- Bennardo, Alberto & Chiappori, Pierre-André, 2002. "Bertrand and Walras Equilibria Under Moral Hazard," CEPR Discussion Papers 3650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Bennardo & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 2003. "Bertrand and Walras Equilibria Under Moral Hazard," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000748, David K. Levine.
- Alberto Bennardo & P.A. Chiappori, 2002. "Bertrand and Walras equilibria under moral hazard," CSEF Working Papers 87, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Gretsky, Neil E. & Ostroy, Joseph M. & Zame, William R., 1999. "Perfect Competition in the Continuous Assignment Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 60-118, September.
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984.
"General Competitive Analysis in an Economy with Private Information,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 1997. "General Competitive Analysis in an Economy with Private Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1578, David K. Levine.
- Belen Jerez, 2000.
"General Equilibrium with Asymmetric Information: A Dual Approach,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1497, Econometric Society.
- Bel? Jerez, 2000. "General Equilibrium with Asymmetric Information: a Dual Approach," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 510.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-264.
- Sun, Yeneng, 1998. "A theory of hyperfinite processes: the complete removal of individual uncertainty via exact LLN1," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 419-503, May.
- Bisin, Alberto & Gottardi, Piero, 1999.
"Competitive Equilibria with Asymmetric Information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 1-48, July.
- Alberto Bisin & Piero Gottardi, 1998. "Competitive Equilibria with Asymmetric Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2062, David K. Levine.
- Richard Arnott & Bruce Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1993.
"Information and Economic Efficiency,"
NBER Working Papers
4533, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Zame, William R., 1991. "Equilibrium theory in infinite dimensional spaces," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 34, pages 1835-1898 Elsevier.
- Rogerson, William P, 1985. "Repeated Moral Hazard," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 69-76, January.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 1988. "Default and Efficiency in a General Equilibrium Model with Incomplete Markets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 879R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1989.
- Alberto Bisin & Piero Gottardi, 2000. "Decentralizing Incentive Efficient Allocations of Economies with Adverse Selection," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0855, Econometric Society.
- Wilson, Charles, 1977. "A model of insurance markets with incomplete information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 167-207, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:v:8:y:2005:i:1:p:28-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.