Economies with Observable Types
We study economies of asymmetric information with observable types. Trade takes place in lotteries. Individuals face a standard budget constraint, while the incentive compatibility constraints are imposed on the production set of the intermediaries. This formalization encompasses Moral Hazard, as in Jerez (2003, 2005), and Private Information economies. Equilibrium allocations are constrained efficient, but, contrary to what stated for example in Jerez (2005), the set of equilibrium allocations may be empty and the Second Welfare Theorem may fail. This happens for two reasons. First, constrained efficient allocations may violate the necessary and sufficient conditions of price supportability for the individuals. Second, even when constrained efficient allocation are price supportable, they may fail to be a profit maximizing choice of the firm at the individual supporting prices. To restore existence of an equilibrium the firm has to be restricted to supply allocations with support in the set of incentive compatible contracts. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/review.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/RED17.htm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Edward Prescott, 2000.
"Lotteries, Sunspots and Incentive Constraints,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1974, David K. Levine.
- Malinvaud, E, 1973. "Markets for an Exchange Economy with Individual Risks," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(3), pages 383-410, May.
- Malinvaud, E., 1972. "The allocation of individual risks in large markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 312-328, April.
- Belén Jerez, 2003.
"Incentive Compatibility And Pricing Under Moral Hazard,"
Economics Working Papers
we035722, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Belen Jerez, 2005. "Incentive Compatibility and Pricing under Moral Hazard," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(1), pages 28-47, January.
- Bel? Jerez, 2001.
"A Dual Characterization of Incentive Efficiency,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
494.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Cass, David & Chichilnisky, Graciela & Wu, Ho-Mou, 1996. "Individual Risk and Mutual Insurance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 333-41, March.
- Piero Gottardi & BelÃ©n Jerez, 2007. "Comment on "Bertrand and Walras Equilibria under Moral Hazard"," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(5), pages 893-900, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:09-215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.