An option on the average European futures prices for an efficient hog producer risk management
The volatility of hog prices is high compared to most agricultural commodities. However, European hog producers do not benefit from any agricultural policy support. Through the continuous production process and induced selling activity on spot markets, producers benefit from a natural moving average product pricing. In addition, asymmetric price risk management is able to increase the expected utility of risk adverse hog producers. But, if there is a futures contract at the European Exchange (EUREX), there is no option market and as a consequence no derivative contracts on the European hog market. The article is presenting how financial intermediaries could offer an innovative derivative contract to complement the “naturall ” steady price of the French hog producers.
Volume (Year): 91 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex|
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hart, Chad E. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Hayes, Dermot J., 2001.
"Livestock Revenue Insurance,"
Staff General Research Papers
1932, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chad E. Hart & Bruce A. Babcock & Dermot J. Hayes, 2001. "Livestock Revenue Insurance," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp224, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Chad E. Hart & Bruce A. Babcock, 2001. "Rankings of Risk Management Strategies Combining Crop Insurance Products and Marketing Positions," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-wp267, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Nielsen, J.A. & Sandmann, K., 1998. "Asian Exchange Rate Options under Stochastic Interest Rates: Pricing as a Sum of Delayed Payment Options," Discussion Paper Serie B 431, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Shao, Renyuan & Roe, Brian E., 2002.
"The Design And Pricing Of Fixed And Moving Window Contracts: An Application Of Asian-Basket Option Pricing Methods To The Hog Finishing Sector,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19823, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Renyuan Shao & Brian Roe, 2003. "The design and pricing of fixed‐ and moving‐window contracts: An application of Asian‐Basket option pricing methods to the hog‐finishing sector," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(11), pages 1047-1073, November.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:jourae:v:91:y:2010:i:1:p:27-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.