The Design And Pricing Of Fixed And Moving Window Contracts: An Application Of Asian-Basket Option Pricing Methods To The Hog Finishing Sector
Asian-Basket type moving window contracts are an increasingly used risk management tool in US hog sector. The moving window contract is decomposed into a portfolio of a long Asian-Basket put and a short Asian-Basket call option. A projected breakeven price is used to determine the floor price, and then Monte Carlo simulation methods are used to price both a moving and a fixed window contract. These methods provide unbiased pricing of fixed and moving window hog finishing contracts of one-year duration.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levy, Edmond, 1992. "Pricing European average rate currency options," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 474-491, October.
- Hart, Chad E. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Hayes, Dermot J., 2001.
"Livestock Revenue Insurance,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
1932, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chad E. Hart & Bruce A. Babcock & Dermot J. Hayes, 2001. "Livestock Revenue Insurance," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp224, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Peter Ritchken & L. Sankarasubramanian & Anand M. Vijh, 1993. "The Valuation of Path Dependent Contracts on the Average," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1202-1213, October.
- Alziary, B. & Decamps, J-P. & Koehl, P-F., 1996.
"A P.D.E. Approach to Asian Options: Analytical and Numerical Evidence,"
96.430, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Alziary, Benedicte & Decamps, Jean-Paul & Koehl, Pierre-Francois, 1997. "A P.D.E. approach to Asian options: analytical and numerical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 613-640, May.
- Boyle, Phelim P., 1977. "Options: A Monte Carlo approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 323-338, May.
- Milevsky, Moshe Arye & Posner, Steven E., 1998. "Asian Options, the Sum of Lognormals, and the Reciprocal Gamma Distribution," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 409-422, September.
- Turnbull, Stuart M. & Wakeman, Lee Macdonald, 1991. "A Quick Algorithm for Pricing European Average Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 377-389, September.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Kemna, A. G. Z. & Vorst, A. C. F., 1990. "A pricing method for options based on average asset values," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 113-129, March.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Kastens, Terry L. & Jones, Rodney D. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1998. "Futures-Based Price Forecasts For Agricultural Producers And Businesses," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), pages -, July.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1993. "Forecasting Stock-Return Variance: Toward an Understanding of Stochastic Implied Volatilities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 293-326.
- Garcia, Philip & Hudson, Michael A. & Waller, Mark L., 1988. "The Pricing Efficiency of Agricultural Futures Markets: An Analysis of Previous Research Results," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(01), pages 119-130, July.
- Canina, Linda & Figlewski, Stephen, 1993. "The Informational Content of Implied Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 659-681.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong, 1997. "Corn and Soybean Basis Behavior and Forecasting: Fundamental and Alternative Approaches," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10400, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Garcia, Philip & Hudson, Michael A. & Waller, Mark L., 1988. "The Pricing Efficiency Of Agricultural Futures Markets: An Analysis Of Previous Research Results," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea02:19823. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.