Come difendere la globalizzazione e salvaguardare i sistemi bancari dal contagio
The work summarises the main literature on the impact of globalisation and of the crisis on banking systems.The main conclusion is that a more compelling approach to financial regulation appears as necessary, though the complete homogenisation of financial systems is not a goal to be sought. The current approaches in the Anglo-Saxon countries, based on the segmentation of banking activities seems a right choice, due to both the political difficulties in enacting a stricter regulation of finance and the practical difficulty of regulating a sector pervaded by financial innovation. However, both the Volcker rule and the British approach of ring-fencing, suffer from two limitations: the risk of transferring even more risk to the shadow banking system, and the difficulty in practice to distinguish between legitimate hedging activities and forbidden speculative activities.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Merton H., 1986. "Financial Innovation: The Last Twenty Years and the Next," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 459-471, December.
- Mario Tonveronachi, 2010. "Cominciamo a parlare della prossima crisi," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 63(249), pages 35-50.
- Gary B. Gorton & Andrew Metrick, 2012.
"Getting up to Speed on the Financial Crisis: A One-Weekend-Reader's Guide,"
NBER Working Papers
17778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Metrick, 2012. "Getting Up to Speed on the Financial Crisis: A One-Weekend-Reader's Guide," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 50(1), pages 128-50, March.
- Stefano Fenoaltea, 2010. "The reconstruction of historical national accounts: the case of Italy," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 63(252), pages 77-96.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates
[This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Inci Ã–tker & Aditya Narain & Anna Ilyina & Jay Surti, 2011. "The Too-Important-to-Fail Conundrum: Impossible to Ignore and Difficult to Resolve," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Jonathan Fiechter & Inci Ã–tker & Anna Ilyina & Michael Hsu & Andre Santos & Jay Surti, 2011. "Subsidiaries or Branches: Does One Size Fit All?," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew W. Lo, 2012. "Reading about the Financial Crisis: A Twenty-One-Book Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 50(1), pages 151-78, March.
- Patrick Slovik, 2012. "Systemically Important Banks and Capital Regulation Challenges," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 916, OECD Publishing.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1999.
"Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Co-Existence of Lending and Deposit-Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
6962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Coexistence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 33-73, 02.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1998. "Banks as liquidity providers: an explanation for the co-existence of lending and deposit-taking," Proceedings 582, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Metrick, 2010. "Regulating the Shadow Banking System," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 41(2 (Fall)), pages 261-312.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:moneta:2012:12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.