Towards a sovereign bankruptcy procedure and greater restraint in IMF crisis lending. An interim assessmen
The paper reviews the area of the international financial architecture relating tosovereign crisis resolution. It is argued that shifting part of the burden of crisisresolution onto creditors may encourage debtor countries to take early action to counter an unsustainable debt path. Collective action clauses, the sovereign debt restructuring mechanism, and ceilings on IMF loans, are all necessary components of a new and better crisis resolution framework.
Volume (Year): 56 (2003)
Issue (Month): 225 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.economiacivile.it|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andy Haldane, Bank of England & Mark Kruger, Bank of Canada, 2002.
"The Resolution of International Financial Crises: Private Finance and Public Funds,"
Bank of Canada Review,
Bank of Canada, vol. 2001(Winter), pages 3-13.
- Andy Haldane & Mark Kruger, 2001. "The Resolution of International Financial Crises: Private Finance and Public Funds," Staff Working Papers 01-20, Bank of Canada.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1991. "Historical Research on International Lending and Debt," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 149-169, Spring.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990. "Historical Research on International Lending and Debt," Economics Working Papers 90-153, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990. "Historical Research on International Lending and Debt," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt39n6n9ns, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 2000. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 335-362, January.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 1998. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: the Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CEPR Discussion Papers 1820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CSGR Working papers series 35/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Marcus H. Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for A Payments Standstill," Working Paper Series WP99-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Andrei Shleifer, 2003. "Will the Sovereign Debt Market Survive?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 85-90, May.
- Andrei Shleifer, 2003. "Will the Sovereign Debt Market Survive?," NBER Working Papers 9493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 2003. "Will The Sovereign Debt Market Survive?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2000, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- repec:hrv:faseco:33078969 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999. "International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 21-42, Fall.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999. "International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability," NBER Working Papers 7265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlo A Sdralevich & Biaggio Bossone, 2002. "The New Approach to Sovereign Debt Restructuring; Setting the Incentives Right," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 02/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Dooley, Michael P., 2000. "International financial architecture and strategic default: can financial crises be less painful?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 361-377, December.
- Neil Wallace, 1988. "Another attempt to explain an illiquid banking system: the Diamond and Dybvig model with sequential service taken seriously," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 3-16.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Portes, Richard, 1990. "The Interwar Debt Crisis and Its Aftermath," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(1), pages 69-94, January.
- Xavier Freixas & Curzio Giannini & Glenn Hoggarth & Farouk Soussa, 2000. "Lender of Last Resort: What Have We Learned Since Bagehot?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 18(1), pages 63-84, October.
- Ales Bulir & Marianne Schulze-Gattas & Atish R. Ghosh & Alex Mourmouras & A. Javier Hamann & Timothy D. Lane, 2002. "IMF-Supported Programs in Capital Account Crises; Design and Experience," IMF Occasional Papers 210, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlqrr:2003:21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.