Prêter, donner : comment aider ?
[fre] Cet article explore le débat entre prêts et dons. Il en donne dans une première partie une perspective historique rapide, avant de proposer une comparaison entre ces deux instruments. Enfin, il offre à partir de cette discussion des pistes de réflexion quant à l'évolution de l'Aide publique au développement et montre que le débat pertinent n'est pas entre les prêts et les dons, mais dans une ingénierie financière qui sache mélanger les deux pour mieux répondre aux besoins des pays en développement. Classification JEL : F34, F35 [eng] Loan or donation : how can we help ? This article deals with debate between loans and donations. A first part presents a short historic and a comparison between these two financial instruments. Some reflections on the evolution of public aid for development are presented. The authors show that the relevant debate doesn't take place between loans and donations, but concerns a financial engineering mixing both to answer needs of developing countries. JEL classifications : F34, F35
Volume (Year): 74 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.persee.fr/collection/ecofi|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanford, Jonathan E., 2002. "World Bank: IDA Loans or IDA Grants?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 741-762, May.
- Ratha, Dilip, 2001. "Complementarity between multilateral lending and private flows to developing countries : some empirical results," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2746, The World Bank.
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hernandez, Leonardo & Katada, Saori N., 1996. "Grants and debt forgiveness in Africa : a descriptive analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1653, The World Bank.
- Harold L. Cole & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1996. "Reputation spillover across relationships: reviving reputation models of debt," Staff Report 209, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andrei Shleifer, 2003.
"Will the Sovereign Debt Market Survive?,"
NBER Working Papers
9493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 2003. "Will The Sovereign Debt Market Survive?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2000, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1991.
"Historical Research on International Lending and Debt,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 149-169, Spring.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990. "Historical Research on International Lending and Debt," Economics Working Papers 90-153, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990. "Historical Research on International Lending and Debt," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt39n6n9ns, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Gulhati, Ravi & Nallari, Raj, 1988. "Reform of foreign aid policies: The issue of inter-country allocation in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(10), pages 1167-1184, October.
- Gavin, Michael & Rodrik, Dani, 1995. "The World Bank in Historical Perspective," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 329-334, May.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2004.
"Bilateral donors' aid allocation decisions--a three-dimensional panel analysis,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 253-274.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2002. "Bilateral Donors' Aid Allocation Decisions: A Three-dimensional Panel Analysis," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Peter Hjertholm & Howard White, 2000. "Survey of Foreign Aid: History, Trends and Allocation," Discussion Papers 00-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Dasgupta, Dipak & Ratha, Dilip, 2000. "What factors appear to drive private capital flows to developing countries? and how does official lending respond?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2392, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prs:recofi:ecofi_0987-3368_2004_num_74_1_5046. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.