Italian monetary policy in the '80s and '90s: the revision of the modus operandi
The 'Modus Operandi' of Italian monetary policy which relies on market-based control was radically changed in the '80s and '90s. However, changes still have to be initiated with relation to the banks' compulsory reserve deposits. The Bank of Italy must also be in step with European standards if it is to be an active participant of the future European System of Central Banks. On the third anniversary of Italy's withdrawal from the EMS Exchange Rate Mechanism (16 September 1992) this work reviews the structural changes that have taken place. This review is restricted to the field of monetary policy. Monetary objectives and instruments are analysed separately.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T.F. Cargill, 1995. "The statistical association between central bank independence and inflation," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 48(193), pages 159-172.
- Walsh, Carl E, 1995. "Optimal Contracts for Central Bankers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 150-67, March.
- Giovanni Ferri & Carlo Cottarelli & Andrea Generale, 1995.
"Bank Lending Rates and Financial Structure in Italy; A Case Study,"
IMF Working Papers
95/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Giovanni Ferri & Andrea Generale, 1995. "Bank Lending Rates and Financial Structure in Italy: A Case Study," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(3), pages 670-700, September.
- Fratianni, Michele & von Hagen, Juergen, 1990. "The European Monetary System ten years after," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 173-241, January.
- William Poole, 1969.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
Special Studies Papers
2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Poole, William, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216, May.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fischer, Stanley, 1995. "Central-Bank Independence Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 201-06, May.
- T.F. Cargill, 1995. "The statistical association between central bank independence and inflation," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 48(193), pages 159-172.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlaqr:1995:42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.