The Behaviour of Exchange Rates in the Central European Countries and Credit Default Risk Premiums
We test whether the floating exchange rates of the EU New Member States against the euro are determined jointly within the panel VEC framework. We find that the exchange rates of the Czech koruna, the Polish zloty and the Hungarian forint follow the same long-run relationship, in which the real exchange rates are explained by the real interest rates parities and the spreads of the credit default risk premiums. In case of the Romanian leu, the common relationship is rejected, which is likely due to differences in the economic setting. The results confirm that the currency markets of these three countries are closely related, since the appreciation/depreciation of one currency leads to similar movements in the other currencies of the NMS. The estimated misalignments exhibit some common patterns in terms of time spans and percentage values of under/overvaluation.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cejeme.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2005.
"Testing for PPP: Should we use panel methods?,"
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 77-91, January.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2002. "Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 13, Royal Economic Society.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, . "Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?," Working Papers 186, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Jacobson, Tor & Lyhagen, Johan & Larsson, Rolf & Nessén, Marianne, 2002.
"Inflation, Exchange Rates and PPP in a Multivariate Panel Cointegration Model,"
Working Paper Series
145, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Tor Jacobson & Johan Lyhagen & Rolf Larsson & Marianne Nessén, 2008. "Inflation, exchange rates and PPP in a multivariate panel cointegration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 58-79, 03.
- Tor Jacobson & Johan Lyhagen & Rolf Larsson & Marianne Nessén, 2002. "Inflation, Exchange Rates and PPP in a Multivariate Panel Cointegration Model," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 D4-2, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Jörg Rahn, 2003. "Bilateral Equilibrium Exchange Rates of the EU Accession Countries against the Euro," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20306, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Groen, Jan J J & Kleibergen, Frank, 2003.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error-Correction Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 295-318, April.
- J.J.J. Groen & F. Kleibergen, 2001. "Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error Correction Models," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 646, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bertrand Blancheton & Christian Bordes & Samuel Maveyraud & Philippe Rous, 2012. "Risk of liquidity and contagion of the crisis on the United States, United Kingdom and euro zone money markets," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 124-146, 04.
- Juselius, Katarina & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004. "International parity relationships between the USA and Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 17-34, January.
- Rubaszek, Michal & Rawdanowicz, Lukasz, 2009. "Economic convergence and the fundamental equilibrium exchange rate in central and eastern Europe," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 277-284, December.
- Robert Kelm, 2010. "The Exchange Rate and Two Price Inflations in Poland in the Period 1999-2009. Do Globalization and Balassa-Samuelson Effect Matter?," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 2(4), pages 315-349, September.
- Rahn, Jörg, 2003. "Bilateral equilibrium exchange rates of EU accession countries against the euro," BOFIT Discussion Papers 11/2003, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000.
"Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Tom Doan, . "HADRI: RATS procedure to implement Hadri test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00084, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999. "Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data," Research Papers 1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michał Majsterek & Aleksander Welfe, 2012. "Price-wage nexus and the role of a tax system," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 121-133, February.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan, 2007. "Inference in Panel Cointegration Models With Long Panels," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 473-483, October.
- Keblowski, Piotr & Welfe, Aleksander, 2010. "Estimation of the equilibrium exchange rate: The CHEER approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1385-1397, November.
- José Aixalá & Gema Fabro, 2009. "Economic freedom, civil liberties, political rights and growth: a causality analysis," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 165-178, September.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001.
"Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998. "Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Frait, Jan & Komarek, Lubos & Meleck, Martin, 2006. "The Real Exchange Rate Misalignment in the Five Central European Countries," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 739, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Eli M. Remolona & Michela Scatigna & Eliza Wu, 2008. "A ratings-based approach to measuring sovereign risk," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 26-39.
- Piotr Keblowski & Aleksander Welfe, 2011.
"A Risk-Driven Approach to Exchange-Rate Modelling,"
57, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psc:journl:v:3:y:2011:i:4:p:221-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krzysztof Osiewalski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.