Impact of Price-Deregulation on Market Outcomes - The Case of Chimney Sweep Services in Slovenia
In transition countries, especially in the period of central planning or semi-command regulation, prices of goods and services in the non-tradable sector were regulated, which was one of the main obstacles to normal functioning of the supply-demand market mechanism after the breakdown of the socialist economic system. In the period of economic transition reestablishment of market institutions arises, with price deregulation as one of the fundamental constitutional parts of this process. But in the case of transition economies there exists a recognized doubt in an immediately well functioning market system after deregulation because of inadequate development of the economic system in the past that produced a gap in the development of institutions typical for market economies. The aim of this article is to present the results of the empirical analysis on the market outcomes of price deregulation for chimney sweep services in the Slovenian economy. For this purpose we developed an original model for analysing market outcomes after price deregulation occurs. For the selected case study we recognize large cumulative price growth, that was a consequence of significant supply-side imperfection, since the selection among suppliers is based on the concession system at the municipality level.
Volume (Year): 2006 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stanley W. Kardasz & Kenneth R. Stollery, 1998. "Determinants of domestic and import prices in Canadian manufacturing industries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 593-610.
- Smolny, Werner, 1998. "Innovations, Prices and Employment: A Theoretical Model and an Empirical Application for West German Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 359-381, September.
- Kamien, Morton I & Schwartz, Nancy L, 1975. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 1-37, March.
- T. W. Swan, 1956. "ECONOMIC GROWTH and CAPITAL ACCUMULATION," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 32(2), pages 334-361, November.
- Egon Zizmond & Matjaz Novak, 2006. "Sectoral Reallocation of Labour as a Limit on Total Factor Productivity Growth in Slovenia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 205-225.
- Swan, Trevor W, 2002. "Economic Growth," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(243), pages 375-380, December.
- Dennis W. Carlton, 1986.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "Market Structure and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(2), pages 285-338.
- Caudill, Steven B & Ford, Jon M & Gropper, Daniel M, 1995. "Frontier Estimation and Firm-Specific Inefficiency Measures in the Presence of Heteroscedasticity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 105-111, January.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x.
- Maccini, Louis J, 1981. "On the Theory of the Firm Underlying Empirical Models of Aggregate Price Behavior," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(3), pages 609-624, October.
- Nai-Pew Ong, 1981. "Target Pricing, Competition, and Growth," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 4(1), pages 101-116, October.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2003. "Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521666633, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2006:y:2006:i:4:id:292:p:350-363. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.