Sustainability of Microfinance Institutions in Financial Crisis
The aim of this paper is to clarify the problems of microfinance and the sustainability of microfinance institutions (MFI) in financial crisis. We find, that MFIs are often considered as one of the most effective and flexible strategies in the fight against global poverty. Due to several often unsolvable problems obstructing the easier and faster development of these institutions such as: ethnical problems, managerial resources, legal recourses, unfortunate recourses and other, the operations of MFIs are often not sufficiently efficient. The microfinance sector is in general known for its adaptability and quite healthy survival of past financial crises. However, current global financial crisis is testing the resilience of MFIs hardly. The MFIs are much more connected to international financial markets now than it was the case during previous crises. Therefore we expect that they will not survive the crisis without bearing some loses. But the expected losses are relatively smaller when compared to other financial institutions.
Volume (Year): 2009 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Prague 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/efaj/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn D. Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1997.
"Credit Union Policies and Performances in Latin America,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6430, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Westley, Glenn D. & Shaffer, Sherrill, 1999. "Credit union policies and performance in Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1303-1329, September.
- Glenn Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1997. "Credit Union Policies and Performances in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4086, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Glenn D. Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1998. "Credit union policies and performance in Latin America," Working Papers 98-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Michal Bauer & Julie Chytilova & Jonathan Morduch, 2012.
"Behavioral Foundations of Microcredit: Experimental and Survey Evidence from Rural India,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(2), pages 1118-39, April.
- Michal Bauer & Julie Chytilová & Jonathan Morduch, 2008. "Behavioral Foundations of Microcredit: Experimental and Survey Evidence From Rural India," Working Papers IES 2008/28, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Nov 2008.
- Bauer, Michal & Chytilová, Julie & Morduch, Jonathan, 2010. "Behavioral Foundations of Microcredit: Experimental and Survey Evidence from Rural India," IZA Discussion Papers 4901, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2007.
"The Economic Lives of the Poor,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 141-168, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlefa:v:2009:y:2009:i:2:id:65:p:7-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.