A Cross-Country Database for Sector Investment and Capital
This article presents a new database of investment and capital in agriculture, manufacturing, and the overall economy. It covers 62 industrial and developing countries for the years 1967-92. A common method is used in the calculations to facilitate comparisons across countries and sectors. The sensitivity of the calculations to choices of parameters and estimation methods is tested. Collectively, the data show that as economies grow, capital stocks accumulate, but the composition of capital changes. Together and individually, capital stocks in agriculture and manufacturing constitute a smaller share of the total capital stock than they did 20 years ago. Capital-labor ratios show that agriculture has become more capital intensive in most countries. The composition of agricultural capital has changed as well; capital from investments in orchards and livestock has declined relative to capital from fixed investments in machinery, irrigation, and buildings. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1999:i:55-56:p:19 is not listed on IDEAS
- V.E. Ball & J.C. Bureau & J.P. Butault & H.P. Witzke, 1993. "The stock of capital in European Community agriculture," Post-Print hal-01072680, HAL.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1999:i:55-56 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin, Will & Mitra, Devashish, 1999. "Productivity growth and convergence in agriculture and manufacturing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2171, The World Bank.
- Akiyama, T. & Trivedi, P. K., 1987. "Vintage production approach to perennial crop supply : An application to tea in major producing countries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 133-161.
- Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F. & Crego, Al, 1997. "Agricultural development : issues, evidence, and consequences," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1811, The World Bank.
- Ball, V Eldon, et al, 1993. "The Stock of Capital in European Community Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 437-450.
- Yair Mundlak & Donald F. Larson & Rita Butzer, 1999. "Rethinking Within and Between Regressions: The Case of Agricultural Production Functions," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 55-56, pages 475-501.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:wbecrv:v:14:y:2000:i:2:p:371-91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.