Uncertainty and technical efficiency in Finnish agriculture: a state-contingent approach
In this article, we present one of the first real-world empirical applications of state-contingent production theory. Our state-contingent behavioural model allows us to analyse production under both inefficiency and uncertainty without regard to the nature of producer risk preferences. Using farm data for Finland, we estimate a flexible production model that permits substitutability between state-contingent outputs. We test empirically and reject an assumption that has been implicit in almost all efficiency studies conducted in the last three decades, namely that the production technology is output-cubical, i.e. that outputs are not substitutable between states of nature. , Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 38 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serra, Teresa & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2010.
"A dynamic dual model under state-contingent production uncertainty,"
114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany
61353, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Teresa Serra & Spiro Stefanou & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2010. "A dynamic dual model under state-contingent production uncertainty," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 37(3), pages 293-312, September.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "Specification and Estimation of Production Risk, Risk Preferences and Technical Efficiency," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 8-22.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Marita Laukkanen & Sami Myyrä & Céline Nauges, 2009.
"The effects of EU agricultural policy changes on farmers' risk attitudes,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 53-77, March.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Marita Laukkanen & Sami MyyrÃ¤ & Celine Nauges, 2009. "The effects of EU agricultural policy changes on farmers' risk attitudes," Working Papers 30225, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Xing, Liu & Pietola, Kyosti, 2005. "Forward Hedging Under Price and Production Risk of Wheat," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24467, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jean-Paul Chavas, 2008. "A Cost Approach to Economic Analysis Under State-Contingent Production Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 435-466.
- C.J. O'Donnell & W.E. Griffiths, 2004.
"Estimating State-Contingent Production Frontiers,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
911, The University of Melbourne.
- G. Karagiannis & V. Tzouvelekas & A. Xepapadeas, 2003. "Measuring Irrigation Water Efficiency with a Stochastic Production Frontier," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 57-72, September.
- Christopher O’Donnell & Robert Chambers & John Quiggin, 2010.
"Efficiency analysis in the presence of uncertainty,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 1-17, February.
- O'Donnell, Chris & Chambers, Robert G & Quiggin, John, 2006. "Efficiency analysis in the presence of uncertainty," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151176, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Chris OÕDonnell & Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, . "Efficiency analysis in the presence of uncertainty," Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers WP2R06, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- G. Battese & A. Rambaldi & G. Wan, 1997.
"A Stochastic Frontier Production Function with Flexible Risk Properties,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 269-280, August.
- Battese, G. E. & Rambaldi, A. N. & Wan, G. H., 1995. "A Stochastic Frontier Production Function with Flexible Risk Properties," 1995 Conference (39th), February 14-16, 1995, Perth, Australia 148840, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:erevae:v:38:y:2011:i:4:p:449-467. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.