About some difficulties with interpreting and measuring corporate performance
Corporate performance constitutes one of the most important issues of both theory and practice in many areas of economics. The paper deals with the problem of multiplexity of corporate performance and the diversity of ways in which the term is interpreted in the literature. It also attempts to formulate a versatile definition, while organising the discrepancies in this area. Therefore, the way corporate performance is understood in the theory and practice of industrial economics was compared with the approach applied in corporate finance. The difficulties in defining corporate performance unambiguously result in a number of problems with measuring it and, as a result with conducting a fully objective and reliable evaluation of an economic entity. These problems also result from the imperfections of financial ratios as instruments used for measuring and characterising corporate performance. The study presents the idea of financial ratios and their main classification systems, as well as features the most important limitations of their application.
Volume (Year): 42 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 00-919 Warszawa ul. Świętokrzyska 11/21|
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.bankikredyt.nbp.pl/menu_en.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peltzman, Sam, 1977.
"The Gains and Losses from Industrial Concentration,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 229-263, October.
- Sam Peltzman, 1977. "The Gains and Losses From Industrial Concentration," NBER Working Papers 0163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Kessides, Ioannis N, 1990. "Internal versus External Market Conditions and Firm Profitability: An Exploratory Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 773-792, September.
- Hawawini, Gabriel & Subramanian, Venkat & Verdin, Paul, 2004. "The home country in the age of globalization: how much does it matter for firm performance?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 121-135, May.
- Gabriel Hawawini & Venkat Subramanian & Paul Verdin, 2004. "The home country in the age of globalization: how much does it matter for firm performance?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14190, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Claver, Enrique & Molina, José & Tarí, Juan, 2002. "Firm and Industry Effects on Firm Profitability:: a Spanish Empirical Analysis," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 321-328, June.
- Gabriel Hawawini & Venkat Subramanian & Paul Verdin, 2003. "Is performance driven by industry or firm-specific factors? A new look at the evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14188, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1985. "Do Markets Differ Much?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 341-351, June.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1984. "Do markets differ much?," Working papers 1531-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Burgstahler, David & Dichev, Ilia, 1997. "Earnings management to avoid earnings decreases and losses," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 99-126, December.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, July.
- Anita M. McGahan & Michael E. Porter, 2002. "What Do We Know About Variance in Accounting Profitability?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(7), pages 834-851, July.
- Stuart McLeay & Duarte Trigueiros, 2002. "Proportionate Growth and the Theoretical Foundations of Financial Ratios," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(3), pages 297-316.
- Peter Walton, 1997. "The true and fair view and the drafting of the Fourth Directive," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 721-730.
- Caloghirou, Yiannis & Protogerou, Aimilia & Spanos, Yiannis & Papagiannakis, Lefteris, 2004. "Industry-Versus Firm-specific Effects on Performance:: Contrasting SMEs and Large-sized Firms," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 231-243, April.
- Charoenwong, Charlie & Jiraporn, Pornsit, 2009. "Earnings management to exceed thresholds: Evidence from Singapore and Thailand," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 221-236, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbp:nbpbik:v:42:y:2011:i:5:p:41-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michał Wieloch)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.