Technology Licensing and Grantbacks under Hidden Information
This paper explores technological transfer via licensing under hidden information. The transaction features a quality choice of technology to be transferred between a licensor and a licensee that has private information about its ability to implement and refine the technology. The model accounts for the possible damage that drastic refinements and reverse licensing can do to the licensor´s market position, and makes predictions on the structure of licensing contracts. We show under what conditions a licensing contract will include a further contractual provision such as a grantback clause. Finally, the welfare implications of grantback inclusion are assessed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 165 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rockett, Katharine, 1990. "The quality of licensed technology," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 559-574, December.
- R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), 2002.
"Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications,"
Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications,
edition 1, volume 3, number 3.
- R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), 1994. "Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, Elsevier, edition 1, volume 2, number 2.
- R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), 1992. "Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, Elsevier, edition 1, volume 1, number 1.
- Aoki, Reiko & Tauman, Yair, 1998.
"Patent Licensing with Spillovers,"
147, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Christian Bessy & Eric Brousseau & Camille Chaserant & Régis Coeurderoy, 2006. "“The Diversity of Technology Licensing Agreements and their Causes“," Post-Print hal-00178705, HAL.
- Anand, Bharat N & Khanna, Tarun, 2000. "The Structure of Licensing Contracts," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 103-35, March.
- Lerner, Josh & Strojwas, Marcin & Tirole, Jean, 2005.
"The Design of Patent Pools: The Determinants of Licensing Rules,"
IDEI Working Papers
187, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Josh Lerner & Marcin Strojwas & Jean Tirole, 2007. "The design of patent pools: the determinants of licensing rules," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(3), pages 610-625, 09.
- Morton I. Kamien & Yair Tauman, 1984.
"Fees Versus Royalties and the Private Value of a Patent,"
583, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Morton I. Kamien & Yair Tauman, 1986. "Fees Versus Royalties and the Private Value of a Patent," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(3), pages 471-491.
- Nancy T. Gallini & Brian D. Wright, 1990. "Technology Transfer under Asymmetric Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 147-160, Spring.
- Choi, Jay Pil, 1996.
"Technology Transfer with Moral Hazard,"
22, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(200912)165:4_561:tlaguh_2.0.tx_2-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.