Capital Requirements and Rational Discount-Window Borrowing
When banks face capital regulations and stochastic deposit supply, their decisions to borrow at the discount window will be affected by a broader range of variables than previous theoretical and empirical studies have recognized. Moreover, those decisions can respond discontinuously to changes in market parameters and to the form of rationing rule by which the discount window is administered. Risk aversion can complicate these linkages considerably, even causing some banks to prefer a positive discount rate that may exceed the actual level.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dutkowsky, Donald H., 1993. "Dynamic implicit cost and Discount Window borrowing : An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 105-120, August.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1988.
"Time-Varying Risk Perceptions and the Pricing of Risky Assets,"
NBER Working Papers
2694, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friedman, Benjamin M & Kuttner, Kenneth N, 1992. "Time-Varying Risk Perceptions and the Pricing of Risky Assets," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 566-98, October.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-66, September.
- Sherill Shaffer, 1996.
"Viability of Traditional Banking Activities: Evidence from Shifts in Conduct and Excess Capacity,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 125-143.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1994. "Viability of traditional banking activities: evidence from shifts in conduct and excess capacity," Working Papers 94-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ann-Marie Meulendyke, 1992. "Reserve requirements and the discount window in recent decades," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aut, pages 25-43.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis & Thierry A. Wizman, 1992. "Relative cost of capital for marginal firms over the business cycle," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aut, pages 44-58.
- Peristiani, Stavros, 1994.
"An empirical investigation of the determinants of discount window borrowing: a disaggregate analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 183-197, January.
- Stavros Peristiani, 1991. "An empirical investigation of the determinants of discount window borrowing: a disaggregate analysis," Research Paper 9114, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Goodfriend, Marvin, 1983.
"Discount window borrowing, monetary policy, and the post-October 6, 1979 federal reserve operating procedure,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 343-356, September.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1981. "Discount window borrowing, monetary policy, and the post-October 6, 1979 Federal Reserve operating procedure," Working Paper 81-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Timothy H. Hannan & J. Nellie Liang, 1991.
"Inferring market power from time-series data: the case of the banking firm,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
147, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hannan, Timothy H. & Liang, J. Nellie, 1993. "Inferring market power from time-series data : The case of the banking firm," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 205-218, June.
- VanHoose, David D, 1985. "Bank Market Structure and Monetary Control," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(3), pages 298-311, August.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- James A. Clouse, 1994. "Recent developments in discount window policy," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Nov, pages 965-977.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1991. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: a note (reprinted from Journal of Banking and Finance)," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 34-39.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993.
"A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Tobin, James, 1982. " The Commercial Banking Firm: A Simple Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(4), pages 495-530.
- Waller, Christopher J., 1990. "Administering the window : A game-theoretic model of discount-window borrowing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 273-287, March.
- Alli Nathan & Edwin H. Neave, 1989. "Competition and Contestability in Canada's Financial System: Empirical Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 576-94, August.
- Jaffee, Dwight M & Modigliani, Franco, 1969. "A Theory and Test of Credit Rationing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 850-72, December.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1995.
"The discount window and credit availability,"
95-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Mitchell, Karlyn & Pearce, Douglas K., 1992. "Discount window borrowing across federal reserve districts: Evidence under contemporaneous reserve accounting," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 771-790, August.
- Cosimano, Thomas F & Sheehan, Richard G, 1994. "Is the Conventional View of Discount Window Borrowing Consistent with the Behavior of Weekly Reporting Banks?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(4), pages 761-70, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:30:y:1998:i:4:p:849-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.