Capital Requirements and Rational Discount-Window Borrowing
When banks face capital regulations and stochastic deposit supply, their decisions to borrow at the discount window will be affected by a broader range of variables than previous theoretical and empirical studies have recognized. Moreover, those decisions can respond discontinuously to changes in market parameters and to the form of rationing rule by which the discount window is administered. Risk aversion can complicate these linkages considerably, even causing some banks to prefer a positive discount rate that may exceed the actual level.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1991. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: a note (reprinted from Journal of Banking and Finance)," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 34-39.
- Goodfriend, Marvin, 1983.
"Discount window borrowing, monetary policy, and the post-October 6, 1979 federal reserve operating procedure,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 343-356, September.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1981. "Discount window borrowing, monetary policy, and the post-October 6, 1979 Federal Reserve operating procedure," Working Paper 81-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993.
"A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Mitchell, Karlyn & Pearce, Douglas K., 1992. "Discount window borrowing across federal reserve districts: Evidence under contemporaneous reserve accounting," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 771-790, August.
- Waller, Christopher J., 1990. "Administering the window : A game-theoretic model of discount-window borrowing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 273-287, March.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1994.
"Viability of traditional banking activities: evidence from shifts in conduct and excess capacity,"
94-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Sherill Shaffer, 1996. "Viability of Traditional Banking Activities: Evidence from Shifts in Conduct and Excess Capacity," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 125-143.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-66, September.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis & Thierry A. Wizman, 1992. "Relative cost of capital for marginal firms over the business cycle," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aut, pages 44-58.
- Tobin, James, 1982. " The Commercial Banking Firm: A Simple Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(4), pages 495-530.
- Stavros Peristiani, 1991.
"An empirical investigation of the determinants of discount window borrowing: a disaggregate analysis,"
9114, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Peristiani, Stavros, 1994. "An empirical investigation of the determinants of discount window borrowing: a disaggregate analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 183-197, January.
- Jaffee, Dwight M & Modigliani, Franco, 1969. "A Theory and Test of Credit Rationing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 850-72, December.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1999.
"The discount window and credit availability,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1383-1406, September.
- Cosimano, Thomas F & Sheehan, Richard G, 1994. "Is the Conventional View of Discount Window Borrowing Consistent with the Behavior of Weekly Reporting Banks?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(4), pages 761-70, November.
- Ann-Marie Meulendyke, 1992. "Reserve requirements and the discount window in recent decades," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aut, pages 25-43.
- Dutkowsky, Donald H., 1993. "Dynamic implicit cost and Discount Window borrowing : An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 105-120, August.
- VanHoose, David D, 1985. "Bank Market Structure and Monetary Control," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(3), pages 298-311, August.
- Hannan, Timothy H. & Liang, J. Nellie, 1993.
"Inferring market power from time-series data : The case of the banking firm,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 205-218, June.
- Timothy H. Hannan & J. Nellie Liang, 1991. "Inferring market power from time-series data: the case of the banking firm," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 147, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Friedman, Benjamin M & Kuttner, Kenneth N, 1992.
"Time-Varying Risk Perceptions and the Pricing of Risky Assets,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 566-98, October.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1988. "Time-Varying Risk Perceptions and the Pricing of Risky Assets," NBER Working Papers 2694, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James A. Clouse, 1994. "Recent developments in discount window policy," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Nov, pages 965-977.
- Alli Nathan & Edwin H. Neave, 1989. "Competition and Contestability in Canada's Financial System: Empirical Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 576-94, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:30:y:1998:i:4:p:849-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.