Some Tests of Competition in the Australian Housing Loan Market
In this paper we investigate the degree of competition in the market for housing loans by examining a new data set, the asset composition of individual banks. We construct a Herfindahl index of concentration in this market, and estimate a model of conjectural variations to examine the reactions of each bank to changes in the value of loans made by other banks. Certain forms of competition are nested within this framework. Our findings lead us to decisively reject the hypotheses of perfect competition and perfect collusion. We are unable to reject the hypothesis that this market can be characterised as a Cournot oligopoly.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rba.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rba.gov.au/forms/rdp-order-form/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Alli Nathan & Edwin H. Neave, 1989. "Competition and Contestability in Canada's Financial System: Empirical Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 576-94, August.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Berger, Allen N & Hannan, Timothy H, 1989.
"The Price-Concentration Relationship in Banking,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 291-99, May.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1987. "The price-concentration relationship in banking," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 100, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1988. "The price-concentration relationship in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gollop, Frank M. & Roberts, Mark J., 1979. "Firm interdependence in oligopolistic markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 313-331, August.
- Gilbert, R Alton, 1984. "Bank Market Structure and Competition: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 617-44, November.
- Sullivan, Daniel, 1985. "Testing Hypotheses about Firm Behavior in the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 586-98, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rba:rbardp:rdp9202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paula Drew)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.