The Birth of Exporters: Entry and Scale of Firms in Punjab’s Export Sectors
In this paper we analyze which factors affect new firm entry and the scale of new firms in the export clusters of Punjab. Our analysis looks at local conditions (such as the degree of concentration in an industry, the employment of firms of that industry already located in a region, the employment of firms of all industries located in that region) and international conditions (such as the real exchange rates of Pakistan’s major trading partners and tariff rates). The results show that more export sector firms will enter highly concentrated industries and that firm entry increases significantly as a result of a depreciation in the trade-weighted real exchange rate, while the impact of changes in trade partner tariffs is not significant.
Volume (Year): 17 (2012)
Issue (Month): Special Edition (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2002.
"The Geographical Distribution of Production Activity in the UK,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3627, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2004. "The geographic distribution of production activity in the UK," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 533-564, September.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson, 2000. "The Geographic Distribution of Production Activity in the UK," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1397, Econometric Society.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson, 1999. "The geographic distribution of production activity in the UK," IFS Working Papers W99/26, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1983. "The Location and Employment Choices of New Firms: An Econometric Model with Discrete and Continuous Endogenous Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 440-49, August.
- Barbara Roberts & Steve Thompson, 2003. "Entry and Exit in a Transition Economy: The Case of Poland," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 225-243, May.
- Guy Dumais & Glenn Ellison & Edward Glaeser, 1997.
"Geographic Concentration as a Dynamic Process,"
NBER Working Papers
6270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:18:y:2008:i:5:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Akihiro Otsuka, 2008. "Determinants of new firm formation in Japan: A comparison of the manufacturing and service sectors," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 18(5), pages 1-7.
- André van Stel & Niels Bosma & Kashifa Suddle, 2006. "The Geography of New Firm Formation: Evidence from Independent Start-ups and New Subsidiaries in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200615, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Whewell, Lori & Gu, Wulong & Sawchuk, Gary, 2003.
"The Effect of Tariff Reductions on Firm Size and Firm Turnover in Canadian Manufacturing,"
Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series
2003014e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Wulong Gu & Gary Sawchuk & Lori Rennison, 2003. "The effect of tariff reductions on firm size and firm turnover in canadian manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 139(3), pages 440-459, September.
- Jen Baggs & Eugene Beaulieu & Loretta Fung, 2009. "Firm survival, performance, and the exchange rate," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 393-421, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:17:y:2012:i:sp:p:191-212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.