Strategic games with security and potential level players
This paper examines the existence of strategic solutions to finite normal form games under the assumption that strategy choices can be described as choices among lotteries where players have security- and potential level preferences over lotteries (e.g., Cohen, Theory and Decision, 33, 101â€“104, 1992, Gilboa, Journal of Mathematical Psychology, 32, 405â€“420, 1988, Jaffray, Theory and Decision, 24, 169â€“200, 1988). Since security- and potential level preferences require discontinuous utility representations, standard existence results for Nash equilibria in mixed strategies (Nash, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 36, 48â€“49, 1950a, Non-Cooperative Games, Ph.D. Dissertation, Princeton University Press, 1950b) or for equilibria in beliefs (Crawford, Journal of Economic Theory, 50, 127â€“154, 1990) do not apply. As a key insight this paper proves that non-existence of equilibria in beliefs, and therefore non-existence of Nash equilibria in mixed strategies, is possible in finite games with security- and potential level players. But, as this paper also shows, rationalizable strategies (Bernheim, Econometrica, 52, 1007â€“1028, 1984, Moulin, Mathematical Social Sciences, 7, 83â€“102, 1984, Pearce, Econometrica, 52, 1029â€“1050, 1984) exist for such games. Rationalizability rather than equilibrium in beliefs therefore appears to be a more favorable solution concept for games with security- and potential level players. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Schmeidler, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7662, David K. Levine.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-87, May.
- Segal, Uzi., 1991.
"The Measure Representation: A Correction,"
781, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Guesnerie, R., 1999.
"Anchoring Economic Predictions in Common Knowledge,"
DELTA Working Papers
1999-06, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- R. Guesnerie, 2002. "Anchoring Economic Predictions in Common Knowledge," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 439-480, March.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Kin Chung Lo, 1995.
"Equilibrium in Beliefs Under Uncertainty,"
ecpap-95-02, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- GHIRARDATO, Paolo & LE BRETON, Michel, .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1447, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Moulin, Herve, 1984. "Dominance solvability and cournot stability," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 83-102, February.
- Quiggin John & Wakker Peter, 1994.
"The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility: A Clarification,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 486-499, December.
- Quiggin, J. & Wakker, P.P., 1992. "The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility : A Clarification," Discussion Paper 1992-3, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Quiggin, J. & Wakker, P., 1992. "The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility: A Clarification," Papers 9203, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- D. B. Bernheim, 2010.
"Rationalizable Strategic Behavior,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
514, David K. Levine.
- Gul, Faruk, 1991. "A Theory of Disappointment Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 667-86, May.
- Werlang, Sérgio Ribeiro da Costa, 1988. "Common knowledge," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 118, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Pearce, David G, 1984. "Rationalizable Strategic Behavior and the Problem of Perfection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 1029-50, July.
- Dekel, Eddie & Safra, Zvi & Segal, Uzi, 1991. "Existence and dynamic consistency of Nash equilibrium with non-expected utility preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 229-246, December.
- Ulrich Schmidt & Alexander Zimper, 2007. "Security and Potential Level Preferences with Thresholds," Working Papers 47, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Essid, Samir, 1997. "Choice under risk with certainty and potential effects: A general axiomatic model," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 223-247, October.
- Crawford, Vincent P., 1990. "Equilibrium without independence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 127-154, February.
- Eichberger, Jurgen & Kelsey, David, 2000. "Non-Additive Beliefs and Strategic Equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 183-215, February.
- Jullien Bruno & Green Jerry G, 1988.
"Ordinal independence in non-linear utility theory,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Karni, Edi & Schmeidler, David, 1991. "Utility theory with uncertainty," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 33, pages 1763-1831 Elsevier.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:theord:v:63:y:2007:i:1:p:53-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.