Risk and regulation in water utilities: a cross-country comparison of evidence from the CAPM
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Gort, Michael & Wall, Richard A, 1988. "Foresight and Public Utility Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 177-188, February.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G & Mauer, David C, 1993. "Public Utility Valuation and Risk under Incentive Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 263-287, September.
- Dnes, Antony W. & Kodwani, Devendra G. & Seaton, Jonathan S. & Wood, Douglas, 1998. "The Regulation of the United Kingdom Electricity Industry: An Event Study of Price-Capping Measures," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 207-225, May.
- Morana, Claudio & Sawkins, John W, 2000. "Regulatory Uncertainty and Share Price Volatility: The English and Welsh Water Industry's Periodic Price Review," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "Betas and Their Regression Tendencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 785-795, June.
- Antonios Antoniou & Gioia M. Pescetto, 1997. "The Effect of Regulatory Announcements on the Cost of Equity Capital of British Telecom," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 1-26.
- Hayne E. Leland, 1974.
"Regulation of Natural Monopolies and the Fair Rate of Return,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(1), pages 3-15, Spring.
- Hayne E. Leland, 1973. "Regulation of Natural Monopolies and the Fair Rate of Return," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 362, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- L. Arvastson & H. Olsson & J. Holst, 2000. "Asymptotic Bias in Parameter Estimation of AR‐Processes Using Recursive Least Squares with Exponential Forgetting," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(1), pages 177-192, March.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Sappington, David E M, 1999.
"Setting the X Factor in Price-Cap Regulation Plans,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 5-25, July.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & David E. M. Sappington, 1998. "Setting the X Factor in Price Cap Regulation Plans," NBER Working Papers 6622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- T. A. Robinson & M. P. Taylor, 1998. "The Effects of Regulation and Regulatory Risk in the UK Electricity Distribution Industry," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(3), pages 331-346, September.
- Stavros B. Thomadakis, 1976. "A Model of Market Power, Valuation and the Firm's Returns," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(1), pages 150-162, Spring.
- Antoniou, A & Barr, D G & Priestley, R, 2000. "Abnormal Stock Returns and Public Policy: The Case of the UK Privatised Electricity and Water Utilities," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 93-106, April.
- Mike Buckle & Jing Chen & Julian Williams, 2014. "How Predictable Are Equity Covariance Matrices? Evidence from High‐Frequency Data for Four Markets," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33(7), pages 542-557, November.
- Roger Buckland & Patricia Fraser, 2001. "Political and Regulatory Risk in Water Utilities: Beta Sensitivity in the United Kingdom," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(7&8), pages 877-904.
- Marshall, William J & Yawitz, Jess B & Greenberg, Edward, 1981. "Optimal Regulation under Uncertainty," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 909-921, September.
- Binder, John J & Norton, Seth W, 1999. "Regulation, Profit Variability and Beta," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 249-266, May.
- Elizabeth Olmstead Teisberg, 1993. "Capital Investment Strategies under Uncertain Regulation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(4), pages 591-604, Winter.
- Howard E. Thompson, 1979. "Estimating the Cost of Equity Capital for Electric Utilities: 1958-1976," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(2), pages 619-635, Autumn.
- Michael Crew & Rami Kahlon, 2014. "Guaranteed return regulation: a case study of regulation of water in California," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 112-121, August.
- Chang, Mo Ahn & Thompson, Howard E, 1989. "An Analysis of Some Aspects of Regulatory Risk and the Required Rate of Return for Public Utilities," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 241-257, September.
- O. E. Barndorff-Nielsen & P. Reinhard Hansen & A. Lunde & N. Shephard, 2009. "Realized kernels in practice: trades and quotes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(3), pages 1-32, November.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 25-46, Summer.
- Riddick, Leigh A, 1992. "The Effects of Regulation on Stochastic Systematic Risk," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 139-157, June.
- James Mcdonald & Richard Michelfelder & Panayiotis Theodossiou, 2010. "Robust estimation with flexible parametric distributions: estimation of utility stock betas," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 375-387.
- Bos, T & Newbold, P, 1984. "An Empirical Investigation of the Possibility of Stochastic Systematic Risk in the Market Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 35-41, January.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1971. "On the Assessment of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Bey, Roger P., 1983. "Market Model Stationarity of Individual Public Utilities," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 67-85, March.
- Grout, Paul A. & Zalewska, Anna, 2006. "The impact of regulation on market risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 149-184, April.
- Buckland, Roger & Fraser, Patricia, 2001. "Political and Regulatory Risk: Beta Sensitivity in U.K. Electricity Distribution," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 5-25, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Felipe Filgueiras, Elias Cavalcante-Filho, Rodrigo de Losso, JosÃ© Roberto Savoia, 2019. "Law Change in a Regulated Sector Impacts Other Regulated Sectors: Evidence from Brazil," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2019_27, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Moore, Mark A. & Boardman, Anthony E. & Vining, Aidan R., 2017. "Analyzing risk in PPP provision of utility services: A social welfare perspective," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 210-218.
- Gregory, Alan & Hua, Shan & Tharyan, Rajesh, 2018. "In search of beta," The British Accounting Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 425-441.
More about this item
KeywordsWater utilities; CAPM; Risk and regulation; Time-varying risk modelling; G12; G14; G15;
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:regeco:v:47:y:2015:i:2:p:117-145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.