Pricing policy and quality upgrading in the Swedish car market: Do import surveillance and exchange rate instability matter?
Recent years have seen an increased use of quantitative restrictions in passenger car trade. In this paper we investigate the impact of import surveillance on product and pricing policies of car manufactures in the Swedish car market over the period 1986–1989. Evidence is found of substantal upgrading in Japanese (and German) car supply. The evidence on changes in quality-adjusted prices is less conclusive. In addition it is found that exchange rate changes were not passed through to car prices. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1991
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1988. "Quality Change Under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-146.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1981. "Departures from marginal-cost pricing in the American automobile industry : Estimates for 1977-1978," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 201-227, November.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1985. "Automobile prices and protection: The U.S.-Japan trade restraint," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-68.
- Kirman, A.P. & Schueller, N., 1990.
"Price Leadership And Discrimination In The European Car Market,"
90b02, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Kirman, Alan & Schueller, Nathalie, 1990. "Price Leadership and Discrimination in the European Car Market," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 69-91, September.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Roberts, Mark J., 1986. "Measuring quality change in quota-constrained import markets: The Case of U.S. Footwear," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 45-60, August.
- Jacques Le Cacheux & Lucrezia Reichlin, 1989. "Taux de change et prix des importations : le cas des automobiles en Europe," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 27(1), pages 133-155.
- Krishna, Kala, 1989.
"Trade restrictions as facilitating practices,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 251-270, May.
- Falvey, Rodney E, 1979. "The Composition of Trade within Import-restricted Product Categories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1105-14, October.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1986. "Gains from Trade in Differentiated Products: Japanese Compact Trucks," NBER Working Papers 1978, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melo, Jaime de & Messerlin, Patrick A., 1988. "Price, quality and welfare effects of European VERs on Japanese autos," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1527-1546, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:2:y:1991:i:3:p:255-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.