An empirical analysis of market performance in the car industry
This article focuses on the determinants of market performance in the car industry. Trade and market patterns are studied using firm-level international data. Econometric models are developed and evaluated for a sample of firms from the major producing countries for the period 1970â€“1985. Among the factors responsible for the market shares of the different firms are international differences in unit labor costs, income levels, the European Community (EC) and locally based production scales, and transaction costs in the form of trade barriers. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1996
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melo, Jaime de & Messerlin, Patrick A., 1988. "Price, quality and welfare effects of European VERs on Japanese autos," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1527-1546, September.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1988. "Quality Change under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-46, February.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521378574 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kirman, Alan & Schueller, Nathalie, 1990.
"Price Leadership and Discrimination in the European Car Market,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 69-91, September.
- Kirman, A.P. & Schueller, N., 1990. "Price Leadership And Discrimination In The European Car Market," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 90b02, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Lucrezia Reichlin & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1992. "Exchange rates and import prices: evidence of pricing to market in the European car market," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10189, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1992.
"Markup Adjustment and Exchange Rate Fluctuations: Evidence From Panel Data on Automobile Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
4123, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1995. "Markup adjustment and exchange rate fluctuations: evidence from panel data on automobile exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 289-310, April.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1985. "Automobile prices and protection: The U.S.-Japan trade restraint," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-68.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:7:y:1996:i:4:p:327-348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.