Export Restraints With Imperfect Competition: A Selective Survey
This paper is a selective survey of the work on the effects of export restraints with imperfect competition. Although there are a number of excellent surveys of strategic trade theory as a whole. not much attention is paid in these to the effects of export restraints per se. The large and growing literature in this area is explicitly game theoretic and contains a wide variety of models which often yield different results. For this reason. the literature in this area can be difficult to follow. This survey provides a stylized overview of the area which serves as a guide to the work. Short run effects are contrasted to long run effects. The short run effects usually studied are on pricing behavior. Long run effects are multidimensional. These include effects on quality choice and investment which often work in the opposite direction to the short run effects.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1990|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Srinagesh, Padmanabhan & Bradburd, Ralph M, 1989.
"Quality Distortion by a Discriminating Monopolist,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 96-105, March.
- Falvey, Rodney E, 1979. "The Composition of Trade within Import-restricted Product Categories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1105-1114, October.
- Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1989. "Oligopolistic competition and international trade : Quantity and quality restrictions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3-4), pages 299-318, November.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1988. "Quality Change Under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-146.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Kreinin, Mordechai E, 1988. "Effects on the U.S.-Japan Auto VER on European Prices and on U.S. Welfare," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 484-491, August.
- Analysis, A Welfare & Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1987. "Trade policy and its impact on quality of imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 77-95, August.
- Yan Aw, B. & Hwang, A., 1988. "Quality Adjustment Under Quotas In A Multiproduct Model With Joint Production," Papers 0-88-3, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Swan, Peter L, 1970. "Durability of Consumption Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 884-894, December.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Roberts, Mark J., 1986. "Measuring quality change in quota-constrained import markets: The Case of U.S. Footwear," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 45-60, August.
- Krishna, Kala, 1989.
"Trade restrictions as facilitating practices,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 251-270, May.
- Greenaway, David, 1987. "The New Theories of Intra-industry Trade," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 95-120, April.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1987. "Foreign direct investment with unemployment and endogenous taxes and tariffs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3-4), pages 257-279, May.
- Kala Krishna, 1985. "Tariffs vs. Quotas with Endogenous Quality," NBER Working Papers 1535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kala Krishna & Kathleen Hogan & Phillip Swagel, 1994. "The Nonoptimality of Optimal Trade Policies: The U.S. Automobile Industry Revisited, 1979-1985," NBER Chapters, in: Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy, pages 11-40 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1985. "International Trade, Trade and Industrial Policy and Imperfect Competition: A Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 74, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kala Krishna & Motoshige Itoh, 1988.
"Content Protection and Oligopolistic Interactions,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 107-125.
- Richard Harris, 1984.
"Why Voluntary Export Restraints are 'Voluntary',"
559, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dean, Judith M. & Gangopadhyay, Shubhashis, 1991. "Market equilibrium under the 'threat' of a VER," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 137-152, February.
- Motoshige Itoh & Yoshiyasu Ono, 1982. "Tariffs, Quotas, and Market Structure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(2), pages 295-305.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1985. "Automobile prices and protection: The U.S.-Japan trade restraint," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-68.
- Buffie, Edward F. & Spiller, Pablo T., 1986. "Trade liberalization in oligopolistic industries : The quota case," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 65-81, February.
- Spence, A Michael, 1977. "Nonprice Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(1), pages 255-259, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.