Export Restraints With Imperfect Competition: A Selective Survey
This paper is a selective survey of the work on the effects of export restraints with imperfect competition. Although there are a number of excellent surveys of strategic trade theory as a whole. not much attention is paid in these to the effects of export restraints per se. The large and growing literature in this area is explicitly game theoretic and contains a wide variety of models which often yield different results. For this reason. the literature in this area can be difficult to follow. This survey provides a stylized overview of the area which serves as a guide to the work. Short run effects are contrasted to long run effects. The short run effects usually studied are on pricing behavior. Long run effects are multidimensional. These include effects on quality choice and investment which often work in the opposite direction to the short run effects.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Srinagesh, P. & Bradburd, R.M., 1988.
"Quality Distorsion By A Discriminating Monopolist,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
117, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Spence, A Michael, 1977. "Nonprice Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(1), pages 255-59, February.
- Krishna, Kala, 1989.
"Trade restrictions as facilitating practices,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 251-270, May.
- Kala Krishna, 1985. "Tariffs vs. Quotas with Endogenous Quality," NBER Working Papers 1535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1985. "International Trade, Trade and Industrial Policy and Imperfect Competition: A Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 74, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1985. "Automobile prices and protection: The U.S.-Japan trade restraint," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-68.
- Richard Harris, 1985.
"Why Voluntary Export Restraints Are 'Voluntary.',"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 799-809, November.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Yan Aw, B. & Hwang, A., 1988. "Quality Adjustment Under Quotas In A Multiproduct Model With Joint Production," Papers 0-88-3, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Buffie, Edward F. & Spiller, Pablo T., 1986. "Trade liberalization in oligopolistic industries : The quota case," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 65-81, February.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Roberts, Mark J., 1986. "Measuring quality change in quota-constrained import markets: The Case of U.S. Footwear," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 45-60, August.
- Falvey, Rodney E, 1979. "The Composition of Trade within Import-restricted Product Categories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1105-14, October.
- Dean, Judith M. & Gangopadhyay, Shubhashis, 1991. "Market equilibrium under the 'threat' of a VER," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 137-152, February.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1988. "Quality Change Under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-146.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1987. "Foreign direct investment with unemployment and endogenous taxes and tariffs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3-4), pages 257-279, May.
- Kala Krishna & Kathleen Hogan & Phillip Swagel, 1994. "The Nonoptimality of Optimal Trade Policies: The U.S. Automobile Industry Revisited, 1979-1985," NBER Chapters, in: Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy, pages 11-40 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Motoshige Itoh & Yoshiyasu Ono, 1982. "Tariffs, Quotas, and Market Structure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(2), pages 295-305.
- Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1989. "Oligopolistic competition and international trade : Quantity and quality restrictions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3-4), pages 299-318, November.
- Analysis, A Welfare & Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1987. "Trade policy and its impact on quality of imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 77-95, August.
- Greenaway, David, 1987. "The New Theories of Intra-industry Trade," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 95-120, April.
- repec:oup:restud:v:55:y:1988:i:1:p:107-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Kreinin, Mordechai E, 1988. "Effects on the U.S.-Japan Auto VER on European Prices and on U.S. Welfare," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 484-91, August.
- Swan, Peter L, 1970. "Durability of Consumption Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 884-94, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.