Does R&D intensity influence leverage? Evidence from Indian firm-level data
The paper examines the association between corporate leverage and their investment in R&D. Towards this end, it develops certain testable propositions. These propositions are tested using a dataset of manufacturing firms in India covering the period 1995-2005. The estimates support the fact that firms which make high efforts on R&D investments exhibit lower leverage ratios. Additionally, the estimates reveal that the dampening effect of R&D-intensity on leverage is the highest for foreign private firms. For state-owned firms however, R&D activity appears to be positively associated with leverage.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business+%26+management/entrepreneurship/journal/10843/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nandini Gupta, 2005. "Partial Privatization and Firm Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 987-1015, 04.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2000. "Is Group Affiliation Profitable in Emerging Markets? An Analysis of Diversified Indian Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 867-891, 04.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2009.
"Capital control, debt financing and innovative activity,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 372-383, August.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2004. "Capital Control, Debt Financing and Innovative Activity," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-75, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Kornelius Kraft, 2009. "Capital Control, Debt Financing and Innovative Activity," Post-Print hal-00684396, HAL.
- Hall, Bronwyn H., 2009.
"The financing of innovative firms,"
8/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Doukas, John & Switzer, Lorne, 1992. "The stock market's valuation of R&D spending and market concentration," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 95-114, May.
- Marinescu, Ioana & Klemm, Alexander & Bond, Stephen & Aghion, Philippe, 2004.
"Technology and Financial Structure: Are Innovative Firms Different?,"
3200323, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Stephen Bond & Alexander Klemm & Ioana Marinescu, 2004. "Technology and Financial Structure: Are Innovative Firms Different?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 277-288, 04/05.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent Sorensen & Sevcan Yesiltas, 2011.
"Leverage Across Firms, Banks, and Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
17354, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent Sorensen & Sevcan Yesiltas, 2011. "Leverage Across Firms, Banks and Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sorensen, Bent & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2012. "Leverage across firms, banks, and countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 284-298.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katrak, Homi, 1997. "Developing countries' imports of technology, in-house technological capabilities and efforts: an analysis of the Indian experience," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 67-83, June.
- Patibandla, Murali, 2006. "Equity pattern, corporate governance and performance: A study of India's corporate sector," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 29-44, January.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, .
"Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
wp2009-018, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-180, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," NBER Working Papers 14848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2000. "Deregulation, technology imports and in-house R&D efforts: an analysis of the Indian experience," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1081-1093, December.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2005. "Liberalization, outward orientation and in-house R&D activity of multinational and local firms: A quantitative exploration for Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 441-460, May.
- Alessandra Canepa & Paul Stoneman, 2008. "Financial constraints to innovation in the UK: evidence from CIS2 and CIS3," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(4), pages 711-730, October.
- Chhibber, Pradeep K & Majumdar, Sumit K, 1999. "Foreign Ownership and Profitability: Property Rights, Control, and the Performance of Firms in Indian Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 209-38, April.
- Sunil Mani, 2010. "Financing of industrial innovations in India: how effective are tax incentives for R&D?," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(2), pages 109-131.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jinten:v:10:y:2012:i:2:p:158-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.