Does R&D intensity influence leverage? Evidence from Indian firm-level data
The paper examines the association between corporate leverage and their investment in R&D. Towards this end, it develops certain testable propositions. These propositions are tested using a dataset of manufacturing firms in India covering the period 1995-2005. The estimates support the fact that firms which make high efforts on R&D investments exhibit lower leverage ratios. Additionally, the estimates reveal that the dampening effect of R&D-intensity on leverage is the highest for foreign private firms. For state-owned firms however, R&D activity appears to be positively associated with leverage.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Aghion & Stephen Bond & Alexander Klemm & Ioana Marinescu, 2004.
"Technology and Financial Structure: Are Innovative Firms Different?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 277-288, 04/05.
- Marinescu, Ioana & Klemm, Alexander & Bond, Stephen & Aghion, Philippe, 2004. "Technology and Financial Structure: Are Innovative Firms Different?," Scholarly Articles 3200323, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sørensen, Bent E & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2011.
"Leverage Across Firms, Banks and Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sorensen, Bent & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2012. "Leverage across firms, banks, and countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 284-298.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent Sorensen & Sevcan Yesiltas, 2011. "Leverage Across Firms, Banks and Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patibandla, Murali, 2006. "Equity pattern, corporate governance and performance: A study of India's corporate sector," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 29-44, January.
- Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2000. "Deregulation, technology imports and in-house R&D efforts: an analysis of the Indian experience," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1081-1093, December.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2005. "Liberalization, outward orientation and in-house R&D activity of multinational and local firms: A quantitative exploration for Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 441-460, May.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2009.
"Capital control, debt financing and innovative activity,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 372-383, August.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Kornelius Kraft, 2009. "Capital Control, Debt Financing and Innovative Activity," Post-Print hal-00684396, HAL.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2004. "Capital Control, Debt Financing and Innovative Activity," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-75, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2000. "Is Group Affiliation Profitable in Emerging Markets? An Analysis of Diversified Indian Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 867-891, 04.
- Hall, Bronwyn H., 2009.
"The financing of innovative firms,"
8/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Alessandra Canepa & Paul Stoneman, 2008. "Financial constraints to innovation in the UK: evidence from CIS2 and CIS3," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(4), pages 711-730, October.
- Doukas, John & Switzer, Lorne, 1992. "The stock market's valuation of R&D spending and market concentration," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 95-114, May.
- Nandini Gupta, 2005. "Partial Privatization and Firm Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 987-1015, 04.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, .
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
CRSP working papers
344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Chhibber, Pradeep K & Majumdar, Sumit K, 1999. "Foreign Ownership and Profitability: Property Rights, Control, and the Performance of Firms in Indian Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 209-38, April.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2010.
"Entrepreneurial Finance and Nondiversifiable Risk,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(12), pages 4348-4388, December.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-180, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, . "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-018, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," NBER Working Papers 14848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sunil Mani, 2010. "Financing of industrial innovations in India: how effective are tax incentives for R&D?," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(2), pages 109-131.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Katrak, Homi, 1997. "Developing countries' imports of technology, in-house technological capabilities and efforts: an analysis of the Indian experience," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 67-83, June.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jinten:v:10:y:2012:i:2:p:158-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.