The impact of government decentralization on county health spending for the uninsured in California
We analyze Program Realignment, California’s 1991 policy of decentralizing control of health, mental health, and social services, from the state to the counties. Drawing from the economics literature on intergovernmental transfers and using data constructed for this study, we analyze the impact of Realignment on uninsured health spending. We find a change in the pattern of spending on indigent health services by counties following decentralization. Our results suggest, however, that county-level governments maintain a level of commitment to social-service spending that recent studies indicate may be lacking at the state level. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2006
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106603|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark G. Duggan, 2000.
"Hospital Ownership And Public Medical Spending,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1343-1373, November.
- Philip J. Grossman, 1990.
"The impact of federal and state grants on local government spending: A test of the fiscal illusion hypothesis,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
archive-11, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Philip J. Grossman, 1990. "The Impact of Federal and State Grants on Local Government Spending: a Test of the Fiscal Illusion Hypothesis," Public Finance Review, , vol. 18(3), pages 313-327, July.
- P.J. Grossman, 1988. "The Impact of Federal and State Grants on Local Government Spending: A test of the fiscal illusion hypothesis," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 88-07, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Winer, Stanley L, 1983. "Some Evidence on the Effect of the Separation of Spending and Taxing Decisions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 126-40, February.
- repec:mpr:mprres:3216 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fisher, Ronald C., 1982. "Income and grant effects on local expenditure: The flypaper effect and other difficulties," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 324-345, November.
- Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1987. "The economics of the local public sector," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 11, pages 571-645 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ijhcfe:v:6:y:2006:i:3:p:237-258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.