Efficient Policies for Green Design in a Vintage Durable Good Model
Using a dynamic durable good model, we investigate efficiency-restoring policy schemes in case of free garbage disposal. In the long-run, efficiency is attained by a subsidy on recyclability of the durable and a tax on the purchase of the durable. On the short-run adjustment path, in contrast, both policy instruments may change their signs such that the government harms recyclability by taxing it and promotes the demand for the durable good by subsidizing it. A deposit--refund system is shown to yield the efficient allocation both in the short-run as well as in the long-run. Copyright Springer 2005
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Eichner & Rüdiger Pethig, 2000.
"Recycling, Producer Responsibility and Centralized Waste Management,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(3), pages 333-, May.
- Thomas Eichner & Rüdiger Pethig, 1999. "Recycling, Producer Responsibility and Centralized Waste Management," Volkswirtschaftliche Diskussionsbeiträge 83-99, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Kamien, Morton I & Muller, E, 1976. "Optimal Control with Integral State Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 469-73, October.
- Chongwoo Choe & Iain Fraser, 2001. "On the Flexibility of Optimal Policies for Green Design," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 367-371, April.
- Don Fullerton & Wenbo Wu, 1996.
"Policies for Green Design,"
NBER Working Papers
5594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Fraser, Iain, 1999.
"An Economic Analysis of Household Waste Management,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 234-246, September.
- Chongwoo Choe & Iain Fraser, 1997. "An Economic Analysis of Household Waste Management," Working Papers 1997.11, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Thomas Eichner & Rüdiger Pethig, 1999.
"Product Design and efficient Management of Recycling and Waste Treatment,"
76-99, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Eichner, Thomas & Pethig, Rudiger, 2001. "Product Design and Efficient Management of Recycling and Waste Treatment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 109-134, January.
- Margaret Walls & Paul Calcott, 2000. "Can Downstream Waste Disposal Policies Encourage Upstream "Design for Environment"?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 233-237, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:30:y:2005:i:3:p:259-278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.