Strategic Environmental Policies in the Presence of Foreign Direct Investment
We analyze strategic environmental standards in the presence of foreign direct investment. A number of foreign firms located in a host country compete with a domestic firm in another country to export a homogeneous good to a third country. When the number of foreign firms is exogenous, the host country applies a stricter environmental regulation than the other producing country. However, under free entry and exit of foreign firms, the host country may apply a less severe standard under both non-cooperative and cooperative equilibrium. We also find that the nature market structure does not affect the equilibrium values of total pollution if export subsidies are also used. Copyright Springer 2005
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wayne B Gray, 1997.
"Manufacturing Plant Location: Does State Pollution Regulation Matter?,"
97-8, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Wayne B. Gray, 1997. "Manufacturing Plant Location: Does State Pollution Regulation Matter?," NBER Working Papers 5880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin D. D. Evans & Richard K. Lyons, 2003.
"Are Different-Currency Assets Imperfect Substitutes?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
978, CESifo Group Munich.
- Martin D. D. Evans & Richard K. Lyons, 2000. "Are Different-Currency Assets Imperfect Substitutes?," Working Papers gueconwpa~00-00-05, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 2000. "Protecting the environment in the presence of foreign direct investment: tax versus quantity restriction," Economics Discussion Papers 9985, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- repec:esx:essedp:506 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:30:y:2005:i:1:p:1-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.