Approximation of Asymmetric Multivariate Return Distributions
We develop a new method to approximate the asymmetric multivariate probability density function (pdf) of financial asset returns by using series expansions; a rate of convergence for the mean absolute error of this approximation is also provided. We then propose the method of maximum likelihood and the generalized method of moments to estimate the parameters of the approximated pdf. A Monte-Carlo experiment corroborates the feasibility of our approach. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2012
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102851|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knight, J.L. & Stachell, S.E. & Tran, K.C., 1995.
"Statistical Modeling of Asymetric Risk in Asset Returns,"
95-3, Saskatchewan - Department of Economics.
- J. L. Knight & S. E. Satchell & K. C. Tran, 1995. "Statistical modelling of asymmetric risk in asset returns," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 155-172.
- Chu, Ba, 2011. "Recovering copulas from limited information and an application to asset allocation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1824-1842, July.
- Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi, 2008. "New Evidence of Asymmetric Dependence Structures in International Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(03), pages 787-815, September.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2004.
"On the Out-of-Sample Importance of Skewness and Asymmetric Dependence for Asset Allocation,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 130-168.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2002. "On the out-of-sample importance of skewness and asymetric dependence for asset allocation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24951, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Sargan, J D, 1976. "Econometric Estimators and the Edgeworth Approximation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 421-48, May.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2002. "Multi-Moments Method for Portfolio Management: Generalized Capital Asset Pricing Model in Homogeneous and Heterogeneous markets," Papers cond-mat/0207475, arXiv.org.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:19:y:2012:i:3:p:293-318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.