Approximation of Asymmetric Multivariate Return Distributions
We develop a new method to approximate the asymmetric multivariate probability density function (pdf) of financial asset returns by using series expansions; a rate of convergence for the mean absolute error of this approximation is also provided. We then propose the method of maximum likelihood and the generalized method of moments to estimate the parameters of the approximated pdf. A Monte-Carlo experiment corroborates the feasibility of our approach. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102851 |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2002. "Multi-Moments Method for Portfolio Management: Generalized Capital Asset Pricing Model in Homogeneous and Heterogeneous markets," Papers cond-mat/0207475, arXiv.org.
- Knight, J.L. & Stachell, S.E. & Tran, K.C., 1995.
"Statistical Modeling of Asymetric Risk in Asset Returns,"
95-3, Saskatchewan - Department of Economics.
- J. L. Knight & S. E. Satchell & K. C. Tran, 1995. "Statistical modelling of asymmetric risk in asset returns," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 155-172.
- Chu, Ba, 2011. "Recovering copulas from limited information and an application to asset allocation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1824-1842, July.
- Sargan, J D, 1976. "Econometric Estimators and the Edgeworth Approximation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 421-48, May.
- Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi, 2008. "New Evidence of Asymmetric Dependence Structures in International Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(03), pages 787-815, September.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2002.
"On the out-of-sample importance of skewness and asymetric dependence for asset allocation,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24951, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2004. "On the Out-of-Sample Importance of Skewness and Asymmetric Dependence for Asset Allocation," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 130-168.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:19:y:2012:i:3:p:293-318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.