The Evolution of Shopping Center Research: A Review and Analysis
Retail research has evolved over the past sixty years. Christaller's early work on central place theory, with its simplistic combination of range and threshold has been advanced to include complex consumer shopping patterns and retailer behavior in agglomerated retail centers. Hotelling's seminal research on competition in a spatial duopoly has been realized in the form of comparison shopping in regional shopping centers. The research that has followed Christaller and Hotelling has been as wide as it has been deep, including literature in geography, economics, finance, marketing, and real estate. In combination, the many extensions of central place theory and retail agglomeration economics have clearly enhanced the understanding of both retailer and consumer behavior. In addition to these two broad areas of shopping center research, two more narrowly focused areas of research have emerged. The most recent focus in the literature has been on the positive effects large anchor tenants have on smaller non-anchor tenant sales. These positive effects are referred to as retail demand externalities. Exploring the theoretical basis for the valuation of shopping centers has been another area of interest to researchers. The primary focus of this literature is based in the valuation of current and expected lease contracts.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond Chiang & Tsong-Yue Lai & David C. Ling, 1986. "Retail Leasehold Interests: A Contingent Claim Analysis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 216-229.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Wakeman, L MacDonald, 1985. " Determinants of Corporate Leasing Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 895-908, July.
- Jeffrey D. Fisher & R. Brian Webb, 1992. "Current Issues in the Analysis of Commercial Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 211-227.
- B.Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1972.
"The Principle of Minimum Differentiation Reconsidered: Some New Developments in the Theory of Spatial Competition,"
87, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Lipsey, Richard G, 1975. "The Principle of Minimum Differentiation Reconsidered: Some New Developments in the Theory of Spatial Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 27-49, January.
- Kerry D. Vandell & Charles C. Carter, 1992. "Retail Store Location and Market Analysis: A Review of the Research," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 92-02, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1984. "The principle of minimum differentiation revisited," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 345-368, April.
- Kim, E. Han & Lewellen, Wilbur G. & McConnell, John J., 1978. "Sale-and-Leaseback Agreements and Enterprise Valuation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 871-883, December.
- Myers, Stewart C & Dill, David A & Bautista, Alberto J, 1976. "Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 799-819, June.
- Robert E. Hall, 1989. "Temporal Agglomeration," NBER Working Papers 3143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McConnell, John J. & Schallheim, James S., 1983. "Valuation of asset leasing contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 237-261, August.
- Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1986. "On the Nature of Competition with Differentiated Products," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(381), pages 160-72, March.
- Miceli, Thomas J. & Sirmans, C. F., 1995. "Contracting with spatial externalities and agency problems The case of retail leases," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 355-372, June.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- Brueckner, Jan K, 1993. "Inter-store Externalities and Space Allocation in Shopping Centers," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 5-16, July.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1980. "Perfect competition and optimal product differentiation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 279-312, April.
- Jeffrey D. Fisher & George H. Lentz, 1990. "Business Enterprise Value in Shopping Malls: An Empirical Test," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(1), pages 167-175.
- P. Diamond, 1980.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
268, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Benjamin, John D & Lusht, Kenneth M, 1993. "Search Costs and Apartment Rents," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 189-97, March.
- Stahl, Konrad, 1982. "Differentiated Products, Consumer Search, and Locational Oligopoly," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1-2), pages 97-113, September.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G & Long, Michael S & McConnell, John J, 1976. "Asset Leasing in Competitive Capital Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 787-98, June.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213.
- Schallheim, James S. & Johnson, Ramon E. & Lease, Ronald C. & McConnell, John J., 1987. "The determinants of yields on financial leasing contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 45-67, September.
- Gordon, Myron J, 1974. "A General Solution to the Buy or Lease Decision: A Pedagogical Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 245-50, March.
- Ang, James & Peterson, Pamela P, 1984. " The Leasing Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1055-65, September.
- Benjamin, John D. & Boyle, Glenn W. & Sirmans, C. F., 1992. "Price discrimination in shopping center leases," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 299-317, November.
- Goldstein, G. S. & Gronberg, T. J., 1984. "Economies of scope and economies of agglomeration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 91-104, July.
- Papageorgiou, G. J., 1979. "Agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 41-59, February.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:9:n:1:1994:p:5-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.