A Survey of Leasing in Small Firms
This paper reports survey results regarding leasing practices of small firms. Small firms that lease are more likely to be relatively large manufacturing firms which exhibit higher debt ratios and higher sales growth. The survey responses as well as empirical analyses of pertinent data reveal that the relationship between debt and leasing is complementary. Unlike their larger counterparts, small firms seldom use text-book recommended lease-borrow decision models. Also, unlike large firms, small firms are more likely to offer “dubious” reasons, such as off-balance sheet accounting and 100 percent financing, as advantages of leasing.
Volume (Year): 4 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 24255 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu CA|
Web page: http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/jef
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C & Dill, David A & Bautista, Alberto J, 1976. "Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 799-819, June.
- Tarun K. Mukherjee, 1991. "A Survey of Corporate Leasing Analysis," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(3), Fall.
- Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Wakeman, L MacDonald, 1985. " Determinants of Corporate Leasing Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 895-908, July.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G & Long, Michael S & McConnell, John J, 1976. "Asset Leasing in Competitive Capital Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 787-798, June.
- Miller, Merton H & Upton, Charles W, 1976. "Leasing, Buying, and the Cost of Capital Services," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 761-786, June.
- Brealey, R A & Young, C M, 1980. " Debt, Taxes and Leasing-A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1245-1250, December.
- Ang, James & Peterson, Pamela P, 1984. " The Leasing Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1055-1065, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pep:journl:v:4:y:1995:i:2:p:113-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Craig Everett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.