Public Real Estate Management--Adapting Corporate Practice to the Public Sector: The Experience in Cleveland, Ohio
This paper addresses the issue of public real estate management, focusing on the potential to adapt corporate management practice to the public sector. The research begins with a review of the survey literature on real estate management practice and decisionmaking among American non-real estate corporations and public agencies in Sweden. The paper also reports the preliminary results of a survey of twenty-one suburban municipal property managers in the Cleveland, Ohio Metropolitan Area. The current public real estate management practice is described and compared with available survey results on private sector management. Topics include organization of the real estate function, information management, decision rules, and policies and development activities. The feasibility of applying selected private real estate decisionmaking and management practices to the public sector is explored. Initial results show that while the municipalities surveyed participate in many real estate practices such as leasing and joint development, they often do not have the decision framework to financially evaluate these activities. One approach to enhancing the way public agencies deal with real property is set forth. The paper closes with suggestions for future research.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mike Miles & John Pringle & Brian Webb, 1989. "Modeling the Corporate Real Estate Decision," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 47-66.
- Robert H. Pittman & Joel R. Parker, 1989. "A Survey of Corporate Real Estate Executives on Factors Influencing Corporate Real Estate Performance," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 107-120.
- Jeffrey Gale & Fred Case, 1989. "A Study of Corporate Real Estate Resource Management," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 23-34.
- Peter R. Veale, 1989. "Managing Corporate Real Estate Assets: Current Executive Attitudes and Prospects for an Emergent Management Discipline," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 1-22.
- Arnold L. Redman & John R. Tanner, 1989. "The Acquisition and Disposition of Real Estate by Corporate Executives: A Survey," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 67-80.
- John A. Tatom, 1991. "Public capital and private sector performance," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 3-15.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:8:n:4:1993:p:639-654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.