Are Real Estate IPOs a Different Species? Evidence from Hong Kong IPOs
It is well documented that in the United States, real estate investment trust (REIT) initial public offerings (IPOs) have an abnormally low initial-day return when compared to that of industrial firm IPOs. Researchers suspect that the abnormal return pattern of REIT IPOs is caused by their unique real estate holdings. Examination of 399 IPOs issued in Hong Kong during the 1986-1997 period reveals strong evidence that suggests that underlying real estate holdings cannot be the sole reason for the observed low initial-day return of REIT IPOs. This investigation indicates that there is a need to re-think the current explanations for the abnormal performance of REIT IPOs.
Volume (Year): 21 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muscarella, Chris J, 1988. "Price Performance of Initial Public Offerings of Master Limited Partnership Units," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 513-521, November.
- Su Han Chan & Wai Kin Leung & Ko Wang, 1998. "Institutional Investment in REITs: Evidence and Implications," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 357-374.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R. & Rydqvist, Kristian, 1995.
"Initial public offerings: International insights,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 139-140, May.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-1067, September.
- Neng Lai & Ko Wang, 1999. "Land-Supply Restrictions, Developer Strategies and Housing Policies: The Case in Hong Kong," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 2(1), pages 143-159.
- Michaely, Roni & Shaw, Wayne H, 1994. "The Pricing of Initial Public Offerings: Tests of Adverse-Selection and Signaling Theories," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(2), pages 279-319.
- Stoughton, Neal M. & Zechner, Josef, 1998. "IPO-mechanisms, monitoring and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 45-77, July.
- Ibbotson, Roger G & Jaffe, Jeffrey F, 1975. ""Hot Issue" Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1027-1042, September.
- Beatty, Randolph P. & Ritter, Jay R., 1986.
"Investment banking, reputation, and the underpricing of initial public offerings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 213-232.
- Randolph P. Beatty & Jay R. Ritter, "undated". "Investment Banking, Reputation and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Randolph P. Beatty & Jay R. Ritter, "undated". "Investment Banking, Reputation and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Avanidhar Subrahmanyam & Sheridan Titman, 1999. "The Going-Public Decision and the Development of Financial Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 1045-1082, 06.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Sherman, Ann, 1996. "International differences in oversubscription and underpricing of IPOs," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 359-381, July.
- Wang, Ko & Chan, Su Han & Gau, George W., 1992. "Initial public offerings of equity securities *1: Anomalous evidence using REITs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 381-410, June.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1991. " The Long-run Performance of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 3-27, March.
- Rock, Kevin, 1986. "Why new issues are underpriced," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 187-212.
- Peavy, John W, III, 1990. "Returns on Initial Public Offerings of Closed-End Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 695-708.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:21:n:3:2001:p:337-356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.