Zur Evolution des deutschen Konjunkturzyklus 1958-2004 / On the Evolution of German Business Cycles 1958-2004: Ergebnisse einer dynamischen Diskriminanzanalyse / Results of a Dynamic Linear Discriminant Analysis
This paper examines changes of the (West) German business cycle from 1958 to 2004. It starts with a multivariate linear discriminant analysis (LDA) based decomposition of the cycle into 4 phases (upswing, upper turning point, downswing, lower turning point). After examining inter-cyclical changes of the cycle, i.e. changes of the weights of the 12 macroeconomic variables employed for classification, the question of intra-cyclical changes is addressed. This is done by using DLDA, a new dynamic variant of LDA which exploits the time series character of the data used to analyse changes of the multivariate structure of the cycle. The DLDA results exemplify that the transition from one to the next phase is much smoother and more continuous than might be expected. Within the sample examined these movements vary as well as the weights attributed to the classifying variables. In a methodological perspective DLDA turns out to be a promising broadening of classification methods.
Volume (Year): 228 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael T. Belongia & Michelle R. Garfinkel (), 1992. "The business cycle: theories and evidence: proceedings of the sixteenth annual Economic Policy Conference held October 17-18, 1991," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2006. "Measurement of Business Cycles," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 966, The University of Melbourne.
- John R. Meyer & Daniel H. Weinberg, 1976. "On the Classification of Economic Fluctuations: An Update," NBER Chapters,in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 3, number 4, pages 140-141 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. MUYSKENS & C. de Neubourg, 1986. "Introduction," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1986031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- John R. Meyer & Daniel H. Weinberg, 1975. "On the Classification of Economic Fluctuations," NBER Chapters,in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 2, number 2, pages 43-78 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2005.
"Understanding Changes In International Business Cycle Dynamics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(5), pages 968-1006, 09.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2003. "Understanding Changes in International Business Cycle Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 9859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:228:y:2008:i:1:p:84-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.