Innovationen und Dienstleistungen: Dimensionen der Außenwirtschaftstheorie und -politik Innovation and Services: Dimensions in Theory and Policy of Foreign Trade
Theory and policy experienced a number of essential changes. Starting in 19th century from deliberations on factor endowments and trade, as a consequence of new and hardly envisioned trade patterns in the 20th century. While theory was rather quick in taking up these new developments, policy waited to react till the Uruguay Round. The article outlines these two dimensions of change and explains in short the impact of innovations and services on foreign trade – its theories, policies and new structure of the international transfers. Both elements are analysed at first separately and then by looking at their interaction. Concerning innovation the development of the theory of foreign trade is traced (traditional, product cycle, “new” theory of foreign trade and the “new” growth theory and foreign trade). The trade policy follows only slowly and cautiously these sometimes extremely sophisticated theories. The growth of the international transfer of services and its impact on the pattern of foreign trade is so remarkable that the wording “revolutionary” is even used. Therefore, it cannot be a surprise that policy agents have discovered this topic and apply all activities of foreign trade policies – liberalising, protection, log-rolling, North-South conflicts etc.
Volume (Year): 224 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2000.
"Do Trade Patterns and Technology Flows Affect Productivity Growth?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 17-47, January.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1999. "How Trade Patterns and Technology Flows Affect Productivity Growth," NBER Working Papers 6990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 1997. "How trade patterns and technology flows affect productivity growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1831, The World Bank.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 1997.
"Technology and Bilateral Trade,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
79, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1998.
"The Structure of Foreign Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2020, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1848, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," NBER Working Papers 6752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, E., 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," Papers 18-98, Tel Aviv.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1997.
"Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn,"
NBER Working Papers
5896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1997. "Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Koopmann, Georg, 2000. "Internationalisierung der Wettbewerbspolitik : Korrelat zur internationalen Handelspolitik?," HWWA Discussion Papers 108, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Bernard Hoekman, 2000. "The next round of services negotiations: identifying priorities and options," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 31-52.
- Robert Z. Lawrence & David E. Weinstein, 1999. "Trade and Growth: Import-Led or Export-Led? Evidence From Japan and Korea," NBER Working Papers 7264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cowling, Keith & Sugden, Roger, 1998. "Strategic Trade Policy Reconsidered: National Rivalry vs Free Trade vs International Cooperation," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 339-57.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:224:y:2004:i:1-2:p:17-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.