Stability and wage acceleration in macroeconomic models of cyclical growth
This paper is concerned with the stability of macroeconomic models in which there is no long-run trade-off between unemployment and inflation, because of a wage adjustment equation based on the NAIRU concept. It is shown, for a simple theoretical model and for the Bergstrom-Nowman-Wymer continuous-time macro-econometric model of the UK, that there is a bounded range of positive values of the wage acceleration parameter (determining the effect of labour demand on wage acceleration) for which the steady state is asymptotically stable. Then, each model generates damped cycles about a path converging to the steady-state neoclassical growth path. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 16 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrom, Albert Rex, 1983. "Gaussian Estimation of Structural Parameters in Higher Order Continuous Time Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 117-52, January.
- William A. Barnett & Yijun He, 1998.
"Bifurcations in Continuous-Time Macroeconomic Systems,"
- William Barnett & Yijun He, 2012. "Bifurcations in Continuous-Time Macroeconomic Systems," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201226, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Bergstrom, A. R. & Nowman, K. B. & Wymer, C. R., 1992. "Gaussian estimation of a second order continuous time macroeconometric model of the UK," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 313-351, October.
- Bergstrom, A. R., 1985. "The Estimation of Parameters in Nonstationary Higher Order Continuous-Time Dynamic Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 369-385, December.
- Bergstrom, A. R., 1986. "The Estimation of Open Higher-Order Continuous Time Dynamic Models with Mixed Stock and Flow Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 350-373, December.
- Nieuwenhuis, Herman J. & Schoonbeek, Lambert, 1997. "Stability and the structure of continuous-time economic models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 311-340, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:16:y:2001:i:3:p:327-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.