Which Indonesian Home Purchasers Seek Mortgage Finance?
The incidence of taking a mortgage loan from a commercial bank or cooperative for home purchase is sharply lower in developing than industrialized countries. Indeed, the common approach for achieving good quality housing is for a family to construct and improve a dwelling over a number of years. At the same time, it may be possible for formal lenders to expand the volume of mortgage lending by marketing mortgage loans better tailored to those more prone to seek them. This analysis is based on a representative survey of households intending to purchase a dwelling in the next three years with a final sample size of 1,281 conducted in 2008 in Indonesia’s seven largest metropolitan areas. We find that those more likely to seek such loans are families who already have an established relationship with a bank or cooperative, professionals and those with higher permanent incomes, and those with greater knowledge of mortgage loans. These factors all contain important ideas to assist lenders in targeting mortgage lending marketing campaigns.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joao Cocco & John Campbell, 2004.
"Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
646, Econometric Society.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2003. "Household Risk Management And Optimal Mortgage Choice," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1449-1494, November.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2002. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1946, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Joao Cocco & John Campbell, 2004. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 632, Econometric Society.
- John Y. Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2003. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," NBER Working Papers 9759, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Cocco, Joao, 2003. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Scholarly Articles 3157876, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Campbell & Joao F. Cocco, 2002. "Household Risk Management and Optimal Mortgage Choice," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 47, Society for Computational Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:12:n:02:2009:p:135-156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.