Examining Retirement Housing Preferences Among International Retiree Migrants
Housing demand models based on individual consumers' utility function reflect preferences about the structure and lot, neighborhood, and location as related to socioeconomic characteristics of the occupants. As a growing proportion of aging residents in many countries are undertaking late life moves, their preferences will have an influence on destination housing markets. We examine the characteristics, attitudes and preferences about retirement housing among immigrant retirees currently living in traditional housing in a retirement destination in Alicante, Spain. Using results from a survey of German and British retirees living in the region, we find through logistic regression that preference for retirement housing is associated with aging and gaining access to in-home support services.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoang Huu Phe & Patrick Wakely, 2000. "Status, Quality and the Other Trade-off: Towards a New Theory of Urban Residential Location," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 37(1), pages 7-35, January.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1986.
"Life Cycle, Individual Thrift, and the Wealth of Nations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 297-313, June.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1985. "Life Cycle, Individual Thrift and the Wealth of Nations," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1985-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Gary Fournier & David Rasmussen & William Serow, 1988. "Elderly migration: For sun and money," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 189-199, May.
- Artle, Roland & Varaiya, Pravin, 1978. "Life cycle consumption and homeownership," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-58, June.
- Gibler, Karen M. & Moschis, George P. & Lee, Euehun, 1998. "Planning to move to retirement housing," Financial Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 291-300.
- Isaac F. Megbolugbe & Allen P. Marks & Mary B. Schwartz, 1991. "The Economic Theory of Housing Demand: A Critical Review," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(3), pages 381-393.
- Theron R. Nelson & Joseph Rabianski, 1988. "Consumer Preferences in Housing Market Analysis: An Application of Multidimensional Scaling Techniques," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(2), pages 138-159.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:12:n:01:2009:p:2-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.