Regional Output Convergence in Mexico
We examine the behavior of output disparities of Mexican regions relative to the richest region, the Capital, during the period 1940-2009, and the dynamics of the output gap series of the U.S.-Mexico border region. Our estimations suggest that whilst other Mexican regions have been catching up with the Capital region, the Mexican border region has lagged behind its U.S. counterpart. Moreover, we find evidence that the economic liberalization reforms of the 1980s negatively affected the output gap of most regions, without reverting the catching-up process. The border region is a notable exception, where the reforms actually accelerated the catching-up process.
Volume (Year): 49 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Vicuña Mackenna 4860, Macul, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 354-4303
Fax: (562) 553-1664
Web page: http://www.economia.uc.cl
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabio Canova, 1997.
"Testing for convergence clubs in income per-capita: A predictive density approach,"
Economics Working Papers
404, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1999.
- Fabio Canova, 2004. "Testing for Convergence Clubs in Income Per Capita: A Predictive Density Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(1), pages 49-77, 02.
- Canova, Fabio, 2001. "Testing for convergence clubs in income per-capita : a predictive density approach," HWWA Discussion Papers 139, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Canova, Fabio, 1999. "Testing for Convergence Clubs in Income per-capita: A Predictive Density Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2201, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baumol, William J, 1986. "Productivity Growth, Convergence, and Welfare: What the Long-run Data Show," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1072-85, December.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2010:i:99-100:p:17 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ioe:cuadec:v:49:y:2012:i:2:p:217-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaime Casassus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.