Manipulation Robustness of Collaborative Filtering
A collaborative filtering system recommends to users products that similar users like. Collaborative filtering systems influence purchase decisions and hence have become targets of manipulation by unscrupulous vendors. We demonstrate that nearest neighbors algorithms, which are widely used in commercial systems, are highly susceptible to manipulation and introduce new collaborative filtering algorithms that are relatively robust.
Volume (Year): 56 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nolan Miller & Paul Resnick & Richard Zeckhauser, 2005. "Eliciting Informative Feedback: The Peer-Prediction Method," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(9), pages 1359-1373, September.
- Gossner, Olivier & Tomala, Tristan, 2008.
"Entropy bounds on Bayesian learning,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 24-32, January.
- Olivier Gossner & Tristan Tomala, 2008. "Entropy bounds on Bayesian learning," Post-Print halshs-00754314, HAL.
- Tristan Tomala & Olivier Gossner, 2008. "Entropy bounds on Bayesian learning," Post-Print hal-00464554, HAL.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas, 2006. "Strategic Manipulation of Internet Opinion Forums: Implications for Consumers and Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(10), pages 1577-1593, October.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6067 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sangkil Moon & Gary J. Russell, 2008. "Predicting Product Purchase from Inferred Customer Similarity: An Autologistic Model Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(1), pages 71-82, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:56:y:2010:i:11:p:1911-1929. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.