Profits and Productivity
In this study we consider the linkage between productivity change and profit change. We develop an analytical framework in which profit change between one period and the next is decomposed into three sources: (i) a productivity change effect (which includes a technical change effect and an operating efficiency effect), (ii) an activity effect (which includes a product mix effect, a resource mix effect, and a scale effect), and (iii) a price effect. We then show how to quantify the contribution of each effect, using only observed prices and quantities of products and resources in the two periods. We illustrate our analytical decomposition of profit change with an empirical application to Spanish banking during the period 1987--1994.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eldor, Dan & Sudit, Ephraim F, 1981. "Productivity-based financial net income analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 605-611.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Gold, Bela, 1973. "Technology, productivity and economic analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 5-24, February.
- Eilon, S & Gold, Bela & Soesan, Judith, 1975. "A productivity study in a chemical plant," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 329-343, June.
- Garrigosa, E Genescá & Tatjé, E Grifell, 1992. "Profits and total factor productivity: A comparative analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(5-6), pages 553-568.
- Forsund, F.R., 1990. "The Malmquist Productivity Index," Memorandum 28/1990, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Diewert, W. E., 1973. "Functional forms for profit and transformation functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 284-316, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:9:p:1177-1193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.