Profits and Productivity
In this study we consider the linkage between productivity change and profit change. We develop an analytical framework in which profit change between one period and the next is decomposed into three sources: (i) a productivity change effect (which includes a technical change effect and an operating efficiency effect), (ii) an activity effect (which includes a product mix effect, a resource mix effect, and a scale effect), and (iii) a price effect. We then show how to quantify the contribution of each effect, using only observed prices and quantities of products and resources in the two periods. We illustrate our analytical decomposition of profit change with an empirical application to Spanish banking during the period 1987--1994.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Kurosawa, Kazukiyo, 1975. "An aggregate index for the analysis of productivity and profitability," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 157-168, April.
- Finn Førsund, 1998. "The Rise and Fall of Slacks: Comments on Quasi-Malmquist Productivity Indices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 21-34, July.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Forsund, F.R., 1990. "The Malmquist Productivity Index," Memorandum 28/1990, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- A. Ishikawa & E. F. Sudit, 1981. "Selective Sequential Zero-Base Budgeting Procedures Based on Total Factor Productivity Indicators," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(5), pages 534-546, May.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- TULKENS, Henry & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1993.
"Non-Parametric Efficiency, Progress and Regress Measures for Panel Data : Methodological Aspects,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1993016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tulkens, Henry & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1995. "Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 474-499, February.
- Tulkens, H. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., . "Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Eilon, S & Gold, Bela & Soesan, Judith, 1975. "A productivity study in a chemical plant," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 329-343, June.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1996. "A study of bank efficiency taking into account risk-preferences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1025-1045, July.
- Eldor, Dan & Sudit, Ephraim F, 1981. "Productivity-based financial net income analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 605-611.
- Gold, Bela, 1973. "Technology, productivity and economic analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 5-24, February.
- David M. Miller, 1987. "Note---Analyzing Total Factor Productivity with ROI as a Criterion," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(11), pages 1501-1505, November.
- Garrigosa, E Genescá & Tatjé, E Grifell, 1992. "Profits and total factor productivity: A comparative analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(5-6), pages 553-568.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1976. "A characterization of the normalized restricted profit function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 131-163, February.
- David M. Miller & P. Mohan Rao, 1989. "Analysis of Profit-Linked Total-Factor Productivity Measurement Models at the Firm Level," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(6), pages 757-767, June.
- Diewert, W. E., 1973. "Functional forms for profit and transformation functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 284-316, June.
- E. Grifell-Tatjé & C. Lovell & J. Pastor, 1998. "A Quasi-Malmquist Productivity Index," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 7-20, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:9:p:1177-1193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.